Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Getting started in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Ben Lockley

I have just become a member of the Electrical Forums, so hello to all.

Over the past 12 months I've taken a domestic electricians course at OLCI and have passed my Part P, 17th Edition, 2392 and my PV installers. The problem I'm having is that I cant seem to get anyone to take me on board, job wise, as I dont have any hands on experience, just the bits I did on the course. Can anyone help as to finding a way of getting my foot in the door regards getting a job and job searches, I'm based in Leicestershire.

Thanks

Ben

I don't think many companies are taking on much just now mate, you just have to keep trying.
Try to keep your chin up and good luck

Not enough work around mate.

Construction industrys always sufer badly in recessions.

I just got made redundant (solar pv installations manager) just set up my own electrical contracting business and it is really tough going - turnover of 1K in two months!

Luckilly I made a bit on the PV side so I can ride this storm.

Unfortunately mate there are hordes of 'qualified electricians' with no experience out there desperate for jobs and a fair few guys with experience, and they'll be front of the queue.

Hi Ben Lockley,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see you are looking for work with an electrical company. You can contact our job placement advisor who may be able to assist you. This service is free of charge to OLCI students on our main courses. Although we cannot guarantee work, we will do what we can to help you.

For more information, please call me on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Hi there if you want get started in the electrician field i have a full OLCI electricians course for sale half the OLCI asking price. I came to have it because I took a course with Access 2 Trade careers which then went into liquidation but the finance supplier then gave me a full course with OLCI that I have never started due to my situation at work becoming secure I recently asked them if the course could be transfered to another student and they agreed so if you or anybody you know want to train as a full electrician for half the usual asking price then contact me on [email protected].
The course is from no knowledge to fully qualified electrician including part p and testing all books and equipment supplied.

Hi there if you want get started in the electrician field i have a full OLCI electricians course for sale half the OLCI asking price. I came to have it because I took a course with Access 2 Trade careers which then went into liquidation but the finance supplier then gave me a full course with OLCI that I have never started due to my situation at work becoming secure I recently asked them if the course could be transfered to another student and they agreed so if you or anybody you know want to train as a full electrician for half the usual asking price then contact me on [email protected].
The course is from no knowledge to fully qualified electrician including part p and testing all books and equipment supplied.

So its four year scheme with employment and two year college block release?

2360 pt 1 & 2, am1,am2,nvq3 + 4 years experience on tools?

That is the only 'course' that results in being fully qualified and even then your still going to be green round the ears.

So its four year scheme with employment and two year college block release?

2360 pt 1 & 2, am1,am2,nvq3 + 4 years experience on tools?

That is the only 'course' that results in being fully qualified and even then your still going to be green round the ears.

The course will give you all relevant city and guilds needed to call yourself a qualified electrician with course work and practical assessments provided by OLCI as I was told when originally looking to do the course when completed you are qualified as a electrician.
whether you will get a job or not is not for me to say and how ready to do the job again is not for me to say as i have not done the course.
Im just telling you what I was told when I bought the course I know a lot of people do go through these company's to get qualifications so thought someone may like to take mine as I dont need it and save themselves money the ethics of whether these courses are any good vs apprenticeships is not what im discussing.
quote the OLCI website
Electrical Courses
Successfully complete this course and you are qualified to…
Become a Fully Qualified Electrician1

City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) (2357)

Work as a fully qualified electrician with your own business or for a company.

Im not an electrician so I do not know all im saying is I have this course if anybody would would like it for £2000 instead of £5500 let me know.
Sorry about the layout of this message not great on computers

The course will give you all relevant city and guilds needed to call yourself a qualified electrician with course work and practical assessments provided by OLCI as I was told when originally looking to do the course when completed you are qualified as a electrician.
whether you will get a job or not is not for me to say and how ready to do the job again is not for me to say as i have not done the course.
Im just telling you what I was told when I bought the course I know a lot of people do go through these company's to get qualifications so thought someone may like to take mine as I dont need it and save themselves money the ethics of whether these courses are any good vs apprenticeships is not what im discussing.
quote the OLCI website
Electrical Courses
Become a Fully Qualified Electrician1

City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) (2357)

Work as a fully qualified electrician with your own business or for a company.

Im not an electrician so I do not know all im saying is I have this course if anybody would would like it for £2000 instead of £5500 let me know.
Sorry about the layout of this message not great on computers

Careful how you tread here lad.....don't think your going to get too far trying to convince the boys on this site that a short course will send you out the door as a "fully qualified electrician". Either give this one up or jump behind a pretty solid wall because its going to be coming at you like hell fire i reckon.

You better off trying to sell this course on the screwfix forum.

Its the age old story, its easier to sell a "dream", read "fully qualified electrician" and "own company". Than it is to sell the "reality", read "no hope of job"

Become a Fully Qualified Electrician

Note the wording. It doesn't say complete the course and you are or will be a qualified electrician. It says qualified to become a fully qualified electrician. Quite clever wording when you think about it

Its the age old story, its easier to sell a "dream", read "fully qualified electrician" and "own company". Than it is to sell the "reality", read "no hope of job"

I think your all right Im barking up the wrong tree here Im not an electrician just wondered if anybody wanted a course thats no use to me as ive got a secure job.
The course states that youll be a qualified electrician thats all I know if OLCI is lying then thats fair enough who am I to argue Im not claiming to be offering a new life the reason I posted on here because there was a guy saying he wanted to do a domestic installer course and for what he would pay for that he could have the hole thing here cos im not charging full price and its not my concern what you do with it or where it takes you.
Anyway I wasn't after an argument or a debate ive obviously struck a nerve here so enjoy your forum its the first one ive ever been on and it will be the last see ya latter LAD.......

I just don't think that somebody should SELL something to somebody without understanding what it is they are selling, just common sense really.

As Trev said, it clearly states it gives you a basis to become a fully qualified electrician where as you stated previously that you would be a fully qualified electrician. I know it might sound picky but if we hadn't of said anything then somebody might have parted with £2000 for something that they didn't understand.

Reply to Getting started in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net