Discuss Hello all. Some advice needed on qualifications needed. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

SRVee

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been popping in and out of forum for a while now but never posted.
It's great to see everyone being so helpful, so here's my question.
At 16 I left school, started apprenticeship,on tools for 2 yrs before employer sent me to college.
I was doing block release there and near the end of 3rd yr the company was going through a lean spell and was made redundant along with a few sparks and the other 3rd and 4th yr apprentices.(they held on to the 1st & 2nd yrs)
They did however find me a new employer, problem was, he wasn't keen on me going to college for 4 weeks at a time. As I was never able to sit any exams, I have no qualification from that time. They also gave me a letter to prove I had served 3 yrs. I carried on with my new employer and when the year was out I was upgraded to the sparks rate and worked for them for another couple of yrs until I left.
A few yrs later I sent my letter along with some registration doc (can't remember what it was) to SJIB to see where I stood as a spark, no reply, sent another letter a few yr later and got a reply saying they ahd lost my letter along with my letter of proof and this registration thingy. The company had gone bust a short while after I was made redundant but the company I finished my apprenticeship with are still going so I reckon I could get some proof from them. After doing the circuit chasing the money with only word of mouth references getting me starts, I have been self employed for around 20 yrs. Working for 1 company for past 18 yrs (yes they kept me busy) I floated into data cabling and progressed to hardware software etc and electrical work has been limited to the odd socket every year or so. I really want to get back into sparky work so I may not have to travel so much.
Anyone know my best option, I really don't want to do one of these mature apprenticeships, oh I did do my 17th a couple of yr ago. Is there any way I can sit an exam or assessment only ,I think I've got enough experience as I'm 48 now. Sorry about the novel guys.
ps I live in glasgow.
Cheers

well its all about competance and having few quid to fly you through it... buy some test gear and you have your 17th edition and start off small. buy gn3 and bs7671 and learn them and understand them inside out and try for 2391.convince you relations into doing we jobs for them, ebven if they dont need done. and by the time your 50 you should be sorted. it is trial and error if you dont have someone to help you out.

SRVee obviously you are a time served competent spark that due to a series of bad luck you've not got any quals apart from the 17th. In your situation I would go for the NVQ3 and 2391 as Ipu said above. The NVQ3 can ne done in a few months depending on the type of work your doing atm.

I've just seen this, I have a much similar past, albeit only 10 years but thanks for posting and thanks for replies guys, I shall try the same route.

I would stick with the computer stuff and not bother with the sparking? Is it the magnetism that keeps attracting people? With so little work about and plenty of people to do it, rates have never been so low. I'd snap up a cushy data job.

I would stick with the computer stuff and not bother with the sparking? Is it the magnetism that keeps attracting people? With so little work about and plenty of people to do it, rates have never been so low. I'd snap up a cushy data job.

Good advice.
Bad times for getting back into electrical.

Reply to Hello all. Some advice needed on qualifications needed. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net