Discuss Hello from an all round newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davetech

Hi.
I was browsing for some information about ring mains when I came across this forum. I then spent the next hour (in an open office) giggling away to myself while reading some of the hilarity posted on this excellent forum.
I am from a forces background and was delighted to find a sense of humour not greatly different from that I miss so much.
My story is... I was an electronics engineer by trade. When I left Germany in 2010 and moved to Swindon, I ordered a range cooker. When the gas fitter came to install it, he said I had the wrong type of cooker switch, so he could not finish the installation. I asked him to give me half an hour and I'd pop to Wickes and get one and fit it. He said I was not qualified to fit the switch, so that put paid to that. I then had to get a "qualified" electrician to come around to connect the cooker to the cooker switch I had bought.
After an hour of using a 3" level to ensure the switch was straight, then baring the wires too much, then using trunking too small for the supply and return from the switch, I finished the job myself, much annoyed that a degree in electronic engineering, years as an Incormporated Engineer was not sufficient to allow me to fit a switch in my own house.
Therefore, I got myself onto a domestic installation course. Then while I was at it, got myself through 17th edition, completed a 2391 course and bought a Fluke 1653b. Since then, I have not used my qualifications (or meter) at all, as I was headhunted for a job in quality.
Now I have a new job as a Quality Assurance Manager in the nuclear construction industry, my company quickly picked up on my qualifications. I tried to explain I was totally inexperienced as an electrician, but their attitude was one of inconsequence.
Therefore, as a newbie from an experience perspective, I am looking forward to gleaning lots of knowledge from this forum, while enjoying the fantastic banter aswell.
(Apologies for the long winded introduction, but I think it's good to know a bit of background)

Reply to Hello from an all round newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net