Discuss Hello from the Philippines in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We built a retirement home in the Philippines and relocated here a little less than 2 years ago from Georgia, USA. My wife is a Filipina and owns property which made that possible. Our house is in the province (meaning rural area) and our electric service is 220 single pole. There is only one insulated wire coming from the transformer. It is called 220 but measures 235 volts on my meter. We have one of the few houses in the area that was designed by an architect and built and inspected by an engineer. Our electric service consists of a 22 double breaker panel box with a 100 amp main breaker and a double throw breaker set up for the generator. The service is not grounded and most outlets are 2 hole. There are a few 3 hole outlets but the ground hole is not connected to a wire that goes to earth. All the breakers are double pole, hot wire and neutral, with no neutral bus bar. All this is according to code in the Philippines. Most houses just have a single breaker or knife blade switch with fuse wire for a couple lights, a fan and the all important cell phone charging.

I have good knowledge of house wiring but limited knowledge of electricity. In the 1980s I built the first house I owned and wired it myself. I had a permit to do this because at the time the state of Delaware was issuing permits to home owners to wire their own houses. I needed the permit to buy the meter pan and have the house inspected so the power could be connected at the weather seal. I bought a code book and learned all I needed to know about house wiring in the US.

In Manila there is US style 220v double pole electricity available so the house can be wired with some 110v outlets for US appliances. I belong to an expat forum and this is being discussed. Most appliances sold in the Philippines are 220 volt with 2 prong plugs.

My question is, can these appliances, which were designed to operate on single pole 220 also operate on double pole 220? Thanks

Reply to Hello from the Philippines in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net