Discuss Upgrading Garage Subpanel + Adding 240V in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cls1989

DIY
Reaction score
  • I want to make some electrical upgrades to my detached garage. I want to update the subpanel in the detached garage, and I want to add a 240V circuit to the detached garage.
  • Electrical Information from the main panel to the detached garage
    • There are two breakers from the main panel inside the house that supply power to the detached garage. A double pole 50-amp breaker and a single pole 20-amp breaker (see breakers with yellow boxes).
    • The wiring for the 50-amp breaker and the 20-amp breaker are routed in two separate pieces of conduit going to the detached garage. See photo below.
1702169382438.png
  • Sub-panel in the detached garage
    • It’s an old pushmatic breaker box. I believe it’s a 70-amp box. X2 20-amp breakers + x1 30-amp breaker.
    • Only the input from the 50-amp breaker is wired to the subpanel. The input from the 20-amp breaker bypasses the subpanel and goes straight to a junction box. This means the subpanel only controls the circuits associated with the 50-amp input and not the 20-amp input.

1702169176894.png1702169433131.png
  • Goals
    • I want to put the 50-amp and 20-amp wiring into the subpanel box.
    • I want to utilize the 50-amp wiring to incorporate a 240V circuit.
    • Looking for some direction on how I can go about adding 240V to the sub panel and how I can incorporate both sets of wiring into the sub-panel box.
    • What type of subpanel box should I purchase to incorporate both sets of wiring and a 240V circuit?

Attachments

• 1702169104167.png
    552.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
  • I want to make some electrical upgrades to my detached garage. I want to update the subpanel in the detached garage, and I want to add a 240V circuit to the detached garage.
  • Electrical Information from the main panel to the detached garage
    • There are two breakers from the main panel inside the house that supply power to the detached garage. A double pole 50-amp breaker and a single pole 20-amp breaker (see breakers with yellow boxes).
    • The wiring for the 50-amp breaker and the 20-amp breaker are routed in two separate pieces of conduit going to the detached garage. See photo below.
  • Sub-panel in the detached garage
    • It’s an old pushmatic breaker box. I believe it’s a 70-amp box. X2 20-amp breakers + x1 30-amp breaker.
    • Only the input from the 50-amp breaker is wired to the subpanel. The input from the 20-amp breaker bypasses the subpanel and goes straight to a junction box. This means the subpanel only controls the circuits associated with the 50-amp input and not the 20-amp input.

• Goals
    • I want to put the 50-amp and 20-amp wiring into the subpanel box.
    • I want to utilize the 50-amp wiring to incorporate a 240V circuit.
    • Looking for some direction on how I can go about adding 240V to the sub panel and how I can incorporate both sets of wiring into the sub-panel box.
    • What type of subpanel box should I purchase to incorporate both sets of wiring and a 240V circuit?
Sorry for the late reply but you could install a 100 amp main lug only panel and take the 50 breaker out and replace it with a 70 amp double pole breaker. The price of a panel is less than $ 100.00 and purchase a 6 or 8 space panel. Then you could take the wiring loose on the 20 amp breaker. You must keep your equipment grounds and neutrals separate in a sub panel.

Sorry for the late reply but you could install a 100 amp main lug only panel and take the 50 breaker out and replace it with a 70 amp double pole breaker. The price of a panel is less than $ 100.00 and purchase a 6 or 8 space panel. Then you could take the wiring loose on the 20 amp breaker. You must keep your equipment grounds and neutrals separate in a sub panel.
I appreciate the response.

1. You are saying I can install a 100 amp sub-panel in the detached garage?

2. If I’m understanding you correctly you are saying I can replace the 2 pole 50 amp breaker in the main panel with a 2 pole 70 amp breaker? This would allow me to utilize the 70 amps through a single feed and abandon the second 20 amp feed?

3. If I replace the 50 amp breaker with 70 amps wouldn’t I need to run new wiring from the house to the garage? Attached is a photo showing the type of wire that is used for the 50 amp feed. Is this appropriate for 70 amps?

IMG_1653.jpeg

4 With respect to equipment grounds and neutrals can you provide some additional information / a visual?

I appreciate the response.

1. You are saying I can install a 100 amp sub-panel in the detached garage?

2. If I’m understanding you correctly you are saying I can replace the 2 pole 50 amp breaker in the main panel with a 2 pole 70 amp breaker? This would allow me to utilize the 70 amps through a single feed and abandon the second 20 amp feed?

3. If I replace the 50 amp breaker with 70 amps wouldn’t I need to run new wiring from the house to the garage? Attached is a photo showing the type of wire that is used for the 50 amp feed. Is this appropriate for 70 amps?

View attachment 112241

4 With respect to equipment grounds and neutrals can you provide some additional information / a visual?
Yes you will need to install # 4 wiring times 4 for your 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. As for keeping the grounds and neutrals separate you will need a ground bar separate from the neutral bar and most main lug panels doesn’t have a ground bar so you will have to purchase one at Home Depot or Lowes. You really need to hire an electrician to assist you with this project.

Reply to Upgrading Garage Subpanel + Adding 240V in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net