Discuss Help Finding Electrical Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have free listing with yell had one job off it to date, I have been sending out a business card and letter of introduction to new planning apps for a while and to date I havn't had any work from it, I go on council website and find the new ones that have been approved, i think the problem there is its a little early as they might not even be doing the work for another year (will carry on doing it though). I advertised in local rag along with about 5 other sparkies didn't get one single call and I think this form of advertising is too expensive and I think people just ring up and compare prices. Iam not into under cutting and so on. my dad god rest his soul always said "if you work for free then you will never be short of employers". My oppinion is thats my rate if you don't like go somewhere else

Excellent post Dan. For People like myself who are looking to start out its good thread. I've added to my business plan advice.

Cheers:)

I got sucked into the yell pages, a guy came round promised me 11 jobs a month, i was just starting out and said yea why not, bad mistake, had 1 job i think off it. Very tough at minute. Got a few leaflets left so going to send out to letting and estate agents i think.
Good post.

Great thread, tried alot of the above ideas for jobs, some worked better than other but all good ideas none the less.

Has anyone got any suggestiond for gaining more commercial work, call out, install or PIR's & PAT etc etc.

I have registered everywhere i can think of, have website, done flyers etc But not much work about. Spent way to much on ratedpeople for my liking too!:mad:

Great thread, tried alot of the above ideas for jobs, some worked better than other but all good ideas none the less.

Has anyone got any suggestiond for gaining more commercial work, call out, install or PIR's & PAT etc etc.

I have registered everywhere i can think of, have website, done flyers etc But not much work about. Spent way to much on ratedpeople for my liking too!:mad:

suggestiond??

I got sucked into the yell pages, a guy came round promised me 11 jobs a month, i was just starting out and said yea why not, bad mistake, had 1 job i think off it. Very tough at minute. Got a few leaflets left so going to send out to letting and estate agents i think.
Good post.

I fell in to that trap with yell, and many others promising the world but they are sales people thats what they do, don't believe everything they tell you. If you have to pay to have a link on someones website make sure that they have a good page rank because if they don't chances are you wont get much work out of it.

Good luck

What a great post...having never been self employed have never really needed to do any of these things but there is some real imagination with some of those little ploys.......top marks for effort:D:D

I know this has been mentioned previously in this post, but I joined a local BNI group. Although it was initially slow I made loads of contacts and still get a lot of work from it.

There is a fee to join, then an annual fee these come to around £600, then there is a monthly fee which is the cost of your breakfast and the hire of the meeting room. In total it will cost around £1k PA. The first year I got just over £8k, This year, I should make around £15k.

Ian

I know this has been mentioned previously in this post, but I joined a local BNI group. Although it was initially slow I made loads of contacts and still get a lot of work from it.

There is a fee to join, then an annual fee these come to around £600, then there is a monthly fee which is the cost of your breakfast and the hire of the meeting room. In total it will cost around £1k PA. The first year I got just over £8k, This year, I should make around £15k.

Ian

hi Ian - What is BNI?

Thanks

Hi lads,

Ive heard that dropping flyers and leaflets is a bit of a long shot and you might be lucky to get a return 1 in 2000! Was going to get some done myself, but when i looked at the cost of having them made up and printed etc, the return may not be great enough to defray the cost of having them printed and delivered in the first place?

Like many other guys in the same boat as me, im having a nightmare trying to drum up any business, and being only 23, havnt got the peer group so to speak who are on the property ladder initially that i pose as quick and immediate starter jobs, that i can go to and destroy their homes :D . I figure the best thing for people like me is to start off working alongside someone for 6 months or so to really get an idea of how things are done and get my eye in a bit, but do people still employ "mates" or is the current financial climate not so appropriate for hiring irritating sidekicks?

Ben

Hello all i wonder if i am in the right place if not can someone point me in the right direction? i am 22 years old with a driving licence I currently have no on site practical experience but I do currently have my City & Guilds 2330 level 2 certificates in Electrical Installation and I am currently working towards my level 3 Certificate at Trafford College in which I am attending the evening course. i am willing to work for any wage in a company or perhaps if no positions are available, on the weekend I will work for free to gain experience and prove that i am enthusiastic and eager to become an electrician. I do have a CV if anyone is interested

Some really good ideas in these posts especially the first one. I only do yell.com and some local rags but will give leaflets a good go i think.

www.wedotrades.co.uk try these guys, i signed up with them 6months ago and ive had **** loads of work from them, a guy called yaz came to see me on site and watched me work, he did me a sound price and ive already made a nice profit, didnt take off too well at the start but it rang him back and told him and then hes been sending me more work than i can handle. pretty good and would advise it. not sure how they get all this work but im not botherd, all the jobs have been local to me so it pretty good. thumbs up!

Hi lads,

Ive heard that dropping flyers and leaflets is a bit of a long shot and you might be lucky to get a return 1 in 2000! Was going to get some done myself, but when i looked at the cost of having them made up and printed etc, the return may not be great enough to defray the cost of having them printed and delivered in the first place?

Like many other guys in the same boat as me, im having a nightmare trying to drum up any business, and being only 23, havnt got the peer group so to speak who are on the property ladder initially that i pose as quick and immediate starter jobs, that i can go to and destroy their homes :D . I figure the best thing for people like me is to start off working alongside someone for 6 months or so to really get an idea of how things are done and get my eye in a bit, but do people still employ "mates" or is the current financial climate not so appropriate for hiring irritating sidekicks?

Ben

How much did you get quoted? my sister owns a graphics company and will probabbly beat any price youve been quoted!

Reply to Help Finding Electrical Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock