Discuss Help Finding Electrical Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so this is for plastering, and it's been taken from our tiling forum, posted by a member named 'tiler burden' - so I'm not taking credit. But this can be adopted for most businesses and at least would give you some insight about how dificult / easy (that's debateable) it is getting yourself know.

------------ MESSAGE AS FOLLOWS

hi

hope this helps people new to tiling find work.

an associate of mine in devon, went on a 1 week course plastering and within 11 months had 7 lads working for him!!

HE GOT THE WORKIN IN, THEN GOT PEOPLE WORKING FOR HIM, KILLING 2 BIRDS WITH ONE STONE...LEARNING AND EARNING!!

THIS IS HOW HE DID IT, HERE GOES...........

Flyers - I delivered on foot nearly 10,000 street by street in areas that had victorian houses which were terraced. My research suggested a return of only 1-2% but on that amount of leaflets its a lot of work...

My other trick with flyers was to hit the DIY superstore carparks near you on the weekend that got be several jobs.

Lastly keep an eye out in local rag for planning applications, if they not published here your local council offices will have them available for you to view. Then go and pop a flyer in or a letter of introduction ideal if you see someone has applied for planning on for example an extension.

Another thing I do is to put a flyer through the door of every house I see with a sold sign on it. People often like to get work done before they move in, I picked up a five bed house top to bottom through this only last month.

Promotions - I give a free Ă‚ÂŁ25 Marks & Spencer voucher to any customer who recommends me to a someone thus resulting in a job. This is so easy and appears a little more upmarket than just giving them 20 quid. This can build a fairly formidable sales force.

Universities - Have you got any near you if so contact their accomidation office and ask for a list of approved student digs. Next send a letter to property addressed to the landlord offering your services. Students are most competent at damaging properties.

Estate agents - Again letter of introduction or better still get shirt and tie on and visit them with a portfolio of work and some business cards. Lots of people do remedial work prior to selling. NB - if you get work from an agent make sure you give em a drink out of it.

Sign written van - This is most important, need not be too flash but get it done professionally. Make sure it says company name and plasterer in big letters and it MUST include a landline number. I have the federation of small businesses (FSB) logo on mine it gives customers confidence. Have a look at bottom of post hopefully there is a picture, it cost me Ă‚ÂŁ180 to have all four sides done.

Auctions - Most people at auctions are developers get to an auction and try and put yourself about you will soon get to know the regulars do one good job for sensible money and word will soon spread.

T-shirts - we always wear company shirts on site with name and number in big letters it looks the part and gives you an edge. I wear one about as often as I can especially insupermarkets and anywhere busy (sad I know!). People regularly stop me and ask for a card.

Business cards - I shift about 75 cards a month give them out whenever possible make sure they look professional and get them laminated so they last longer.

Mugs - bit of a weird one I know but I get them made by my mate for Ă‚ÂŁ4 each got company name and number on. Give them to customer when job done they less likely to lose a mug with your number on and it is subconsciously welded into their mind they will recommend you whenever someone talks about getting plastering done.

Independent builders merchants - get some cards in there and get them a crate of beer at xmas they will push your business if you are good.

Website - my website is very simple it is not designed to attract business but is there as a point of contact if people lose your number. All they have to do is stick my company name into google and up pops website with contact details.

British networking institution do a google search under BNI - bit of a pain in the --- but can work well in the early days.

Think your advert through also - I guarantee to give a same day quotation early bird catches the worm and all that.

My advert offers people the chance to visit work in progress and talk to happy customers works a treat. Also offer weekend work and evening work to fit around modern folks lifestyles.

When you go and quote a job make sure you sell the product to the customer from the moment you get in the door ie stress you do two coat work and your clean and tidy etc. In the early days I would get wife to ring me when I was with customer and ask for a quote gives real customer confidence to know you busy.

PPS My ad in the local rag is 2x3 cm box every night of week and costs me Ă‚ÂŁ400 a month but I get about three or four calls a day so it is worth it to me.

Cheers
ed

Flyers on car windscreens in the diy shed carpark = yes it works a treat & taking a stroll down the electrical/lighting isles with the T-shirt with company logo works aswell (lighting stumps most jo public they see the logo & name so ask for advice, dont give free advice just dole out a card & wait for the call:cool:).

If you goto the electrical safety councils website they sometimes give all manner of safety bumph & leaflets away to the trade.
Last lot I had sent to me on request were 500 small folded "home safe home" leaflets advocating PIR's & pat testing.
I dish these out as a mail drop (me & the kids walk & deliver) along with a glossy post card sized flyer printed on both sides (ÂŁ100 for 500 on line from goodprint) with a letter of introduction (short history of the company blah blah blah...short but to the point) all delivered in a plain white envelope (ÂŁ5 - ÂŁ6 for 400 from macro) A cheep advertising campaign & health at the same time. I have picked up PIR's + a few visuals & other work from these

Find out when the yellow pages is to be printed then call them a few weeks before the dead line, I have picked up a centre page 12 line ad sized approx 2"x2" with DI logo for ÂŁ200 inc vat ( start of the year they were calling me with the same offer but wanting ÂŁ350 + vat & no logo.

Do the free online thompson local & yell.com listings (picked up a few jobs from the yell.com)

Sign written van...couldnt agree more did mine myself, designed online ordered vinyl layout, got them a few days later & applied the van signage over a Saturday (cost ÂŁ103 all in from Vehicle Graphics, Tradeboards and Vinyl Lettering from TradeGraphics : Design and Order Online).

Get on the local councils approved contractor list, I found the best way in through the back door is to pester who ever deals with the maintenance of village/community halls rather than the main contracts & facilities officer ;)

But by far the best is word of mouth....do a good competatively priced job be curtious & tidy then word is sure to spread.

Thats my help done for now...I'm off to bed....night all.

Last edited by a moderator:
And there you have it! All you need to know to become succesful in business!

Seriously though, good reading that guys! Relatively simple things that hold such an impact.

Anymore?

I have to say I've heard sooooo may people that have paid yellow pages and lost had very little or no business at all from it. I have a free listing usually but will never pay for that type of thing. You can get a much better ROI on other things like a website or smaller local rag type ads - if that's your flavour - though I don't do rags myself but can say I know many that use it as their sole tactic.

My advice would be to consider your options wisely before being sold some ad you don't even know will work.

Do a google search for simple SEO, learn some basic search engine optimisation and then build yourself a small website.It doesn't take much effort to get a website on the first page of google for the right search terms. Much cheaper than yellow pages.

Good advice for setting up a one-man band.Not so good if your looking to start up with some solid contracts.I'm now thinking domestic work isn't worth the hastle anymore.Trying to fill up days with ****y 2 hour jobs that need a certificate and notification to NIC.Then trying to squeeze the money out of some tight customer or even having to use the small claims court.If only I'd trained as a joiner...I could just throw my saw and drill in the back of the van and work for cash!!

all i get from yell.com is there sales team trying to get me to pay for a listing rather than the free listing i have with them. i think she just rings me to hear my lovely yorkshire accent lol.

Really useful thread, I am just starting out on my own and this has given me a few useful pointers. I personally wouldn't recommend Yell due to the fact they want you to tie into a years contract. Well if their advertising was so good they wouldn't need to!

Found the local rag barely made my money back, by far the best way so far has been dropping cards in shops for me. Next task is dropping leaflets when they arrive.

I just told yell and yellow pages to go f themselves .always had a listing costing about ÂŁ200 a year never got anything last year they said give us ÂŁ700 odd and we will make your phone ring . Think it got me 1 job in a year so told them that was it .
Job was a call out ÂŁ40

Next task is dropping leaflets when they arrive.

When I was about 21 I did an Indonesian martial art and helped the club by door to door leafleting.
After walking miles and spending alot of time the responce is very low.
I wouldn't recommend door to door leaflets the amount of response you'll get is minimal.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried to use one of these new online sites that sent your customers to you. I was called up last week by a company called Comcero.com, they said that if I regiestered with them I could get sent details of people who want any work doing. They also said that you only have to pay a fee if you work with them.

Sounds too goo dto be true to me, has anyone tried these sites before?

Has anyone ever tried to use one of these new online sites that sent your customers to you. I was called up last week by a company called Comcero.com, they said that if I regiestered with them I could get sent details of people who want any work doing. They also said that you only have to pay a fee if you work with them.

Sounds too goo dto be true to me, has anyone tried these sites before?

Probably a lot like the car scam, if you have a car for sale they call you say they have people waiting to buy a car like yours and guarantee it'll be sold in a week for ÂŁ200 more than advertised, for ÂŁ30 upfront fee but nobody ever shows up, i was drunk and desperate at the time:rolleyes:, they may be the same or may not but does seem too good to be true, be careful fella

Probably a lot like the car scam, if you have a car for sale they call you say they have people waiting to buy a car like yours and guarantee it'll be sold in a week for ÂŁ200 more than advertised, for ÂŁ30 upfront fee but nobody ever shows up, i was drunk and desperate at the time:rolleyes:, they may be the same or may not but does seem too good to be true, be careful fella

It's legit I am sure about that, I just wondered if anyone has tried something like this. I have signed up and it cost me nothing, reading through their tutorials and guides it sounds like its worth a punt, you dont pay if you dont want the work. Take a look and see what you think Comcero - What you want. The way you want it.

It's legit I am sure about that, I just wondered if anyone has tried something like this. I have signed up and it cost me nothing, reading through their tutorials and guides it sounds like its worth a punt, you dont pay if you dont want the work. Take a look and see what you think Comcero - What you want. The way you want it.

Looks good but it will need to be advertised otherwise the public will not know about it, i've not heard of it til now but i may give it a go, the only thing that puts me off is evertime you get shortlisted you have to pay ÂŁ7 and you may not get the job so if it happened 10 times a month thats ÂŁ70 for nothing

not done any good with yellow pages .we monitor all our advertising and found this has come out bottom.google has been the best,rated people is very good

As i only started out on my own aug last year i have advertising everywhere including yell.com, local services guide, local paper and any free listing on line. All this still can`t touch word of mouth though. I`m trying to let people see i exist and then will look at advertising again at end of year. It`s a bloody costly overhead!

Reply to Help Finding Electrical Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock