Discuss Hi everbody I'm Doctor nic in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dragon-av

Hi everyone, not doctor nic but it seemed appropriate. I'm Tom I run Dragon-av a Custom audio and video design and installtion service/business etc. I am looking for advice on electrical regs and appropriate training etc but am happy to advise you guys on all things AV. I specilaise in domestic multi-room systems and installs and integrated systems things like controlling lighting and HVAC from a central system. I am sure i will ask plenty of dumb --- questions over the next few months, so apologies in advance for that!
Regards Tom Dargon-av

PS If any of you are wall mounting TV's etc for customers there are a few golden rules to consider before you do!

Hi everyone, not doctor nic but it seemed appropriate. I'm Tom I run Dragon-av a Custom audio and video design and installtion service/business etc. I am looking for advice on electrical regs and appropriate training etc but am happy to advise you guys on all things AV. I specilaise in domestic multi-room systems and installs and integrated systems things like controlling lighting and HVAC from a central system. I am sure i will ask plenty of dumb --- questions over the next few months, so apologies in advance for that!
Regards Tom Dargon-av

PS If any of you are wall mounting TV's etc for customers there are a few golden rules to consider before you do!

hi and welcome

so someone has to ask, what are the golden rules then

I hope these are good ones not "use proper fixings" or " do not mount on an outside wall":p:p

No not at all, the golden rule is treat the client with respect but also they rarely know what they will eventually want. Mounting the screen is easy (even 50" on lath and plaster) but getting the right cables to the screen from the right location is the tricky bit. This is what makes the difference between a pro install and a monkey with power drill. Or you get awkward phone calls the day after little johnnies birthday when they cant plug in is PS3 or what ever the next craze will be. My installs have been PS3/blu-ray compatible cabling since 2003 (not a bad shot a future proofing if i may say so)

Also dont let people set the height/location while in a none watching position ie stood up in lounge or bedroom, I have been back to raise a screen but often been back 3-4 weeks later when people fianlly realise they insisted on havig it mounted too high (over a fireplace is typical example)

hiya, nice to other users using this forum, thanks for joining up and I hope you share your knowledge with us all :D

Found this on your website, thought it met the discription of the above message ^^ ??

"insisted on havig it mounted too high (over a fireplace is typical example"

http://www.dragon-av.co.uk/g_images/large/1192016718-50-fujitsu-plasma-and-canton-speakers.jpg

someones not listened to your advice ! hehe, welcome to electriciansforums.net

Unfortunately the £3k fireplace was paid for, but as you see in the photo there is very little space wasted in that install, fortunately the mantle was lower than normal and the sofa was quite high at the end of the day its the client decsion and they can ony be guided so far. It does look bloody good though!

hi,any advice or the latest theory on home surround sound?(speaker type ,speaker placement .....) hope thats right:confused:

Erm can you be a bit more specific the latest thing is HD audio on HD-DVD and Blu-ray much higher bit rate than DVD and your can hear the difference, 5.1 is still standard 6.1 and 7.1 take up has been slower. in room placement is failry important and there is a great guide on the Dolby website most often people make the mistake of puting surround speakers behind the listening position they should in fact be at the side only when you get to 6.1 ad 7.1 do you have speaker directly behind

Last edited by a moderator:
havent used AMX for a while, dont do alot of Sonos TBH. AMX and Crestron is normally more money than my customers are willing spend. most of work is somewhere between Sonos (cheap but very limited) and AMX all encompassing but fairly expensive. YOu do AMX Spud?

Have been involved in it a little bit. Found it very interesting but what got my goat is that they make it so phenominaly difficult to program that there are only a handfull of people in the country that can do it to any real degree, who of course charge a bloody fortune.

We got a bloke from the north west who charged about £250 an hour ! Ouch.

Have been involved in it a little bit. Found it very interesting but what got my goat is that they make it so phenominaly difficult to program that there are only a handfull of people in the country that can do it to any real degree, who of course charge a bloody fortune.

We got a bloke from the north west who charged about £250 an hour ! Ouch.

£2k a day is not uncommon for top programmers of AMX or Crestron, there are also alot of pretenders out their who arent that good IF you go with Crestron until you pass the xams you basically have to employ a Guru at £1k+ a day to programme for you. I prefer the slightly less customisable but have it finished in time for tea systems alot depends on what the client needs and wants. you on commercial or domestic projects spud?

Reply to Hi everbody I'm Doctor nic in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock