Discuss high level 95mm2 SWA run in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

e4electrical

Have been roped into assisting with a 100 metre SWA run at appr. 4.0-6.0m high, the guy has not priced to fit strut or tray and intends to cleat to wall and cable-tie to existing larger armoureds, trouble is I know how this guy works....on a 'shoe-string'!!
Any suggestions on best/easiest way of 4 blokes managing this SWA, bear in mind its in hospital grounds and under a 'watchful-eye' of health and safety etc!!!
Has been mentioned about using a scissor lift/cherry-picker that's on site already but I know that's just not enough and 4 blokes isn't enough.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster with what this bloke is planning.

I have used a scissor lifter to lift large SWA up to brackets before and its not too bad. But we had about 6 blokes, the scissor lifter, nice big cable jacks, and plenty of cable rollers. We were using purpose made unistrut brackets to support these cables and wouldn't have entertained just using cleats for a cable that size at that height.

A cherry picker won't take any sort of weight at all so don't even think about using one of those.

100Mts 95mm SWA is that three or four core, I'd cut it into 10 Mt lengths then four men could handle it easily, you'd have a few terminations to do but shared between 4 men shouldn't be too hard, you may have to all balance on each others shoulders to reach to do the glanding but I think I know the chap who's priced the work is his name "Billy Smart" this should be some performance lol

to cleat to wall and cable-tie to existing larger armoureds, trouble is I know how this guy works....on a 'shoe-string'!!
Any suggestions on best/easiest way of 4 blokes managing this SWA, bear in mind its in hospital grounds and under a 'watchful-eye' of health and safety etc!!!

And that installation is acceptable to the Hospital Engineer is it??

Number One, you don't cable tie to existing installed cables, all your doing is adding additional weight to the fixings of that cable, maybe beyond it's capabilities!! Also, most cable ties are not designed to carry weight, but only to hold cables in place, ...such as on a cable tray/basket.

It's hard enough installing 100m of 95mm SWA cables on cable tray at that height, cleating it at that height, with that number of manpower, and without the correct equipment and your all just asking for an accident to happen!!

Pretty sure the H&S officer will put a stop to this little adventure as soon as he sees what's going on!! ...lol!!

Pulling in 100m of 95mm 4c would be hard enough through ducts, never mind at height. I take it that you've not ever been back to older installations, where heavy cables are supported by cable ties.
They age, weaken and snap.
There is a paper mill not far from me, where this has become a big problem.
as mentioned, you need decent containment, rollers, lifting gear and decent labour.

Sound like a nightmare you need skill to even pull in an armoured and get twists in the right places for bends and that 4 men could be enough with good planning and the right floor space but the fixings sound like a death trap

I dont really see a big issue with only 4 men, of course it would be easier with more but 4's not a problem.

Only having a scissor lift is though and the way its being installed, 95mm SWA cable tied to existing cables!?.

Who's the guy whos priced it up then? an electrician? get him told its wrong. In a hospital grounds too, wouldnt of though this would be allowed...

I dont really see a big issue with only 4 men, of course it would be easier with more but 4's not a problem.

Only having a scissor lift is though and the way its being installed, 95mm SWA cable tied to existing cables!?.

Who's the guy whos priced it up then? an electrician? get him told its wrong. In a hospital grounds too, wouldnt of though this would be allowed...

depends on the hospital, one my company has been working in for years is very strict.

if the guy doesnt get it his way its goodby and he wont allow your company back for as long as he is working there

depends on the hospital, one my company has been working in for years is very strict.

if the guy doesnt get it his way its goodby and he wont allow your company back for as long as he is working there

And exactly as it should be!! He at the end of the day, is responsible for the smooth running of all the services on the engineering side of that hospital!!

What is he fixing the cleats with? Rawl bolts? Or inch and a half 8's haha.

If if you haven't got a cable jack, if there's enough space, run the cable in an S on the floor, your only dragging a section of the cable then, Not the whole 100m.

I wouldn't want to be near if you drop that cable from 6m either!!

Get one of you to book in at Casuality before you start that way when one or all of you injure yourself it will avoid waiting in the 3hr queue !!
Seriously walk away or ask to see hi RA & MS as Hospital will require this as standard.

Number One, you don't cable tie to existing installed cables, all your doing is adding additional weight to the fixings of that cable, maybe beyond it's capabilities!! Also, most cable ties are not designed to carry weight, but only to hold cables in place, ...such as on a cable tray/basket.QUOTE]

But you haven't mentioned 'grouping factors' mate :30:

It's hard enough installing 100m of 95mm SWA cables on cable tray at that height, cleating it at that height, with that number of manpower, and without the correct equipment and your all just asking for an accident to happen!!
But on the plus side, they are already on site at the hospital so A&E shouldn't be far away :)

I,ve contracted in a hospital and it,s hard enough to get a parking permit,there is absolutely no way that their engineer is going to have this.even if you manage to lash it in without him seeing it I can guarantee he'll tell you to rip it out and do it properly,that,s assuming he doesn't specify how he wants it done in the first place.

Have been roped into assisting with a 100 metre SWA run at appr. 4.0-6.0m high, the guy has not priced to fit strut or tray and intends to cleat to wall and cable-tie to existing larger armoureds, trouble is I know how this guy works....on a 'shoe-string'!!
Has been mentioned about using a scissor lift/cherry-picker that's on site already but I know that's just not enough and 4 blokes isn't enough.

This contractor reminds me of someone on t.v.........

Cletus.gif

;-D

Reply to high level 95mm2 SWA run in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net