Discuss How do I change these lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Irvsax

DIY
Reaction score
I have two 'regular' lights in the ceiling and I want to change them to spot light fixtures. (images attached). I cant fit the mounting plate over the plate that is already on the ceiling that is housing some cables (I assume because there are two lights on the circuit). So how to I go about keeping these cables in tact and fitting the new light in this space? IMG_5324.JPEGIMG_5322.JPEGIMG_5321.JPEGIMG_5323.JPEG

Thank you in advance for any help. It really is appreciated.

By the looks of the existing and new. Extremely easily. I cant think of a simpler electrical job, for that reason alone I think maybe get someone to help.

Im all for giving advice if I feel I can on simpler jobs but if you can’t get your head round 3 cables out and 3 in like for like....

What exactly are you not sure if?

By the looks of the existing and new. Extremely easily. I cant think of a simpler electrical job, for that reason alone I think maybe get someone to help.

Im all for giving advice if I feel I can on simpler jobs but if you can’t get your head round 3 cables out and 3 in like for like....

What exactly are you not sure if?

I agree. The three out and in is not the issue, its the cables that are in the fixing plate already that will need to stay in there or something else to keep them in the same setup as I dont think I can mount the new light over this existing plate in the ceiling?

The cables will have to be disconnected and the pendant base removed before fitting the new light. The new light won’t and can’t fit over the existing.

Thank you, this is what I thought. The cables in the pendant base already can just be secured into new terminal blocks that then hang loose inside the new light fitting?

You need to remove the existing fixture and bin it, and then need to wire in the new light using the correct wires in the correct connections inside. The light, by the looks of it, will need to be fitted by fixing that metal bar to the ceiling and then screwing the fixture to that. Hard to see from the angle of the new light fitting but i reckon that's it.

You can't fit your new fixture right over the top of the existing ceiling rose. If in doubt, get someone out - it would only cost you a call out as it's a 10 minute job. Should cost no more than about 65 quid, if someone does it and is already in the area they might do it for a drink.

This is one of those jobs that can turn out to be an absolute pig or only take 20 minutes, look at job, go back to van to get steps and fittings, take off existing rose, enlarge hole through the ceiling to position the maintenance free terminal block housing into the floor space, this in turn can compromise the fitting of the new light, the cost of the materials the electrician will have to supply is at least a couple of £, no matter what, any electrician that does this has taken on the liability for the alteration.

This is one of those jobs that can turn out to be an absolute pig or only take 20 minutes, look at job, go back to van to get steps and fittings, take off existing rose, enlarge hole through the ceiling to position the maintenance free terminal block housing into the floor space, this in turn can compromise the fitting of the new light, the cost of the materials the electrician will have to supply is at least a couple of £, no matter what, any electrician that does this has taken on the liability for the alteration.
Why would that need to be done? There is ample room in the base of the new light fitting for the cables. Plus most likely there will be a ground behind the plaster board so not much hope of getting a JB up there.

Why would that need to be done? There is ample room in the base of the new light fitting for the cables. Plus most likely there will be a ground behind the plaster board so not much hope of getting a JB up there.
It would need to be done as those are the standards I used to work too, but what I do not understand is your statement 'a ground behind the plaster board" please explain why it would stop a JB up there?

I certainly wouldn't knock a hole in the ceiling to fit a joint box, as per @123 they can easily be jointed in the lamp base.

When he says there is a 'ground' there, I suspect he means 'joist' and it has auto corrected.

As per westy and 123, plenty of room in the fitting for the connections, no need to make a big hole in the ceiling. Plus that may make fitting the bracket tricky if there's no flat surface left.

I find it makes it easier to fit the lamp when up a set of steps, providing strain relief for the cables instead of hanging the lamp by its cable as you try fit the terminals, not so awkward to get the cables inside the fitting when trying to fit the ceiling rose, but to each their own, don't understand the back lash seems out of proportion.

I find it makes it easier to fit the lamp when up a set of steps, providing strain relief for the cables instead of hanging the lamp by its cable as you try fit the terminals, not so awkward to get the cables inside the fitting when trying to fit the ceiling rose, but to each their own, don't understand the back lash seems out of proportion.

Yep, I do get the awkwardness of multiple cables whilst you're up a ladder holding a fitting. But if you wago them together first, then just leave the light fitting connections till last that will help.

Reply to How do I change these lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net