Discuss How old is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Skys

-
Reaction score
How old is this?
C947F102-D795-4F32-8295-B97A1057F946.jpeg

Looks like those 5A 1361 carriers have 1362 fuses fitted. Early 60s British Insulated Callenders later known as BICC, wouldn't comply now looks like is has a Wylex main switch fitted, bit of a bitser.

I'd guess it's from the 1960s or 70s. Never seen one exactly like that and it's branded Wylex AND BI Callender which I only know as BICC the cable manufacturer. Someone will recognise it though.

Yes please, let me know when it's liberated and we can sort out postage by PM. I also wondered about that main switch, but the cutout in the main cover looks too well done for it to be a hack. Did Callenders buy switches in from G.H. Scholes? There might have been a version with a BI logo that has been swapped out with a standard Wylex-branded one. Interesting.

Good spot Freddo. This is what makes historical collections interesting. To some people it's just a life-expired CU destined for the skip. For me it's a reminder that I don't know enough about BI Callenders to know why they would allow a Wylex-branded switch to present itself on the outside of their product (or maybe not).

It also prompts me to gain a better understanding of the history of the genuine Pullcap fuseholder itself. The patent for it was applied for in 1944 and granted in 1946, to Clement Lawson (Sr.) of the fuse company of that name. But it was widely known as a Reyrolle product and here BICC, although later supplied by Lawson themselves. Did BICC make them under licence, or buy them in, or what? I've handled so many (they were standard on the most popular Strand lighting dimmers from the 1960s and 70s that I grew up with) and probably have many hundreds in equipment in the collection, that they should be more familiar.

i have one almost identical to that, taken out last year. think mine is older as it is brown bakelite, badged as BI Callenders, with a Wylex main switch, so seems like that was the norm back then. house was bulit in late 50's . Lucien's welcome to it. i might even be able to find the fuses.

Good spot Freddo. This is what makes historical collections interesting.
It always amazes me just how little information is known about many older products/wiring systems etc. when really they are not all that old.

I definitely wish I was around to install some of the stuff though, the photos of some of the installations look amazing, huge motors and their floor standing cast iron control units, loads of steel conduit, big open fronted fusboards and control panels, huge rheostat and salt water dimmers and elaborate electromechanical controls. Almost everything now is lifeless boring flimsy plastic crap.

Not to mention the amazing lighting that used to be available, gas, carbon arc, neon/sodium/mercury discharge, carbon and tungsten filament. All we really have now is LED which OK but not very imaginative. Some of the photos of the lighting (and general building/decorating designs) in the 30s are spectacular, such designs and creativity are almost impossible to achieve today.

Reply to How old is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net