Discuss How to get an apprenticeship as a 29 year old? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m 29 studying electrical engineering level 6 in Scotland. And from what I’ve seen modern apprenticeships are only available to 18-24 year olds. Is there any way for me to get a job as an apprentice spark? Do electricians generally take on people my age? Starting to wonder if I’ve wasted my time studying this subject as I do enjoy it but trying to get work experience or an apprenticeship at my age is appearing to be difficult at the moment.
I’ve also the option to go on and do the HNC but I’m not sure if it’s worth it. Any advice or info would be appreciated
Cheers

TL;DR
I’m 29 do sparkies generally take on people my age as apprentices?
I'm in a similar boat; over 25, studying and wanting to jump onto the Apprenticeship route before my course ends so I can get the tag-ons and on the job experience. It's about how you sell yourself. Unfortunately they're like hen's teeth, although Apprentice 1-2-1 is a good place to try; Thier sole aim is to get Apprentices into Apprenticeships and help businesses get thier apprenticeships filled.

Can't suggest any magic solution but your best option may be to try to find employment as an electricians mate even if it's temporary work while you continue studying so you get the on site job experience

Sad I know, but no one seems to take on apprentices any more, hence the city and guilds route.

a lot of electricians including myself are/ have come into This field with minimal experience as a result.

there literally is no other way of doing it, and there is a major shortage of sparkies so this route has to be accepted Despite some old timers slating it.

I actually agree with the old timers that apprenticeships are best, but if they are not there....

Electricians mate is the route. Get your experience there.

Hi all, my first post on EF so here goes-

As an ex tutor and trainer of all ages, I can say that employers look for someone who is keen to learn and get stuck in but also knows when to step back and listen. Stay off their phones, be ready with the help, tool or materials and generally be alert to what is going on.
This is where age trumps over youth. A 25+y/o with bills and a family will have a keenness that many teens do not. As mentioned by others, an electricians mate is a good foot in the door, and if you have any labouring experience, so much the better. Do not be put off by your age, to the contrary, play to it.

Good luck, us sparkies have great future ahead!

I’ve been taken on as a mate it’s a foot in the door and mainly domestic testing , maintenance and a little bit of install.

In 8 weeks I’ve learnt a lot but it’s going to take months and months before I will be able to stand on my own two feet for the company.

I’m trying to gain evidence but a lot of the work is in domestic and for my containment I will have to put that on the back burner.

sometimes it feels like 1 step forward 2steps back. but then you realise that you just got to get on with it and make the most of getting more and more experience on the tools.

how did I find the work?

go through google and search electricians in your area

make a spreadsheet of their contact informa

call all of them with a detailed idea of what you want to say, being polite and professional from the offset is going to score the most marks.

Being ‘taken under the wing’ was a better way of putting it than apprentice because people have had bad experiences and your not a teenager and are in this for the right reasons.

just crack on with that spreadsheet and stay positive you will get given a chance.

Reply to How to get an apprenticeship as a 29 year old? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net