Discuss How to report a bad electrician??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There's a number of points here.

Regarding the consumer unit - As far as I can tell that's a Lewden unit, parts are available for it, and there is capacity.
I can't immediately see any reason it would need replacing. If a lighting circuit has been extended then the lighting should now have RCD protection (see below). There's also a locking pin missing but that is common and fixable.

Regarding Building Control - is anyone actually asking for an electrical installation certificate?
I'm doubting that there is any notifiable work here as it looks as though circuits have just been altered and the work isn't in a special location. If that is the case there is no requirement to notify building control unless they are aware of the work for other reasons and are asking for a certificate. So you may not actually need one. It would be the electrician notifying building control and not you in any case.

Regarding the electrician - he is supposed to issue a certificate for the work and you are entitled to one.
If the electrician is claiming the board needs changing because the new lighting isn't RCD protected, an RCBO unit can be fitted on the right hand side, and these are available new and 2nd hand.
If the electrician is claiming that the consumer unit doesn't meet the latest regs with regard to division of circuits to avoid nuisance tripping then the lighting is separate to the sockets and that is acceptable.
He also shouldn't have proceeded if there was an issue with the circuit he was altering.

Finally, the building contractor supplied the electrician. I'd imagine the building contractor has now been paid?
This is really useful, thank you and I will check with building control to see if that is a viable option.

In regard to your last point, yes unfortunately all payment has been made..

If the Electrician deemed the CU to be unsuitable, should they have started the work?
Correct according to letter of rules, being more pragmatic at that point they should have at least declared the requirement of a CU change if they believed it needed one to meet BS7671 18th edition.
It was explained that we needed an installation certificate to enable the project to be signed off by building control.
Quite important - who stated this? They are really two separate things. You are due an electrical installation certificate anyway.
If the work involves a CU change, a new circuit, or work in a bathroom (in simple terms) then the electrician also needs to notify it and get you a building control certificate.

Alternatively, if building control are already involved with the project anyway for reasons that are nothing to do with the electrics, then building control might be asking for a building control certificate relating to part P, and this is also obtained via an electrician registered with one of the competent person schemes such as NICEIC or NAPIT.

What I'm trying to get at is that while the electrical installation certificate should have been issued it isn't such a huge deal in itself. It would be handy if you ever sold the house but there are other ways around it.

The top concern here is whether building control are currently expecting a certificate, or not. I wouldn't phone them to ask either!
If it was the electrician that mentioned building control, he may have been thinking ahead to after he's changed the consumer unit which would needs to be notified as per above.

I'm trying to assess the scale of the current problem. If it's just the lack of an electrical installation certificate, it's irritating and wrong but not the end of the world.
It's a bigger deal if building control know about the project, have been out inspecting it, and are expecting a part P building control certificate.

I realise this is all quite confusing, and I'm hoping I haven't confused you further!

Correct according to letter of rules, being more pragmatic at that point they should have at least declared the requirement of a CU change if they believed it needed one to meet BS7671 18th edition.

Quite important - who stated this? They are really two separate things. You are due an electrical installation certificate anyway.
If the work involves a CU change, a new circuit, or work in a bathroom (in simple terms) then the electrician also needs to notify it and get you a building control certificate.

Alternatively, if building control are already involved with the project anyway for reasons that are nothing to do with the electrics, then building control might be asking for a building control certificate relating to part P, and this is also obtained via an electrician registered with one of the competent person schemes such as NICEIC or NAPIT.

What I'm trying to get at is that while the electrical installation certificate should have been issued it isn't such a huge deal in itself. It would be handy if you ever sold the house but there are other ways around it.

The top concern here is whether building control are currently expecting a certificate, or not. I wouldn't phone them to ask either!
If it was the electrician that mentioned building control, he may have been thinking ahead to after he's changed the consumer unit which would needs to be notified as per above.

I'm trying to assess the scale of the current problem. If it's just the lack of an electrical installation certificate, it's irritating and wrong but not the end of the world.
It's a bigger deal if building control know about the project, have been out inspecting it, and are expecting a part P building control certificate.

I realise this is all quite confusing, and I'm hoping I haven't confused you further!
Again, many thanks for your wise words. I wasn’t sure whether this would be a good idea but it’s turned out to be a great one as the information/advice has been fantastic and extremely uselful.

I guess the best way to answer your concerns would be to speak to the electrician himself, but he’s chosen to ignore it, which is annoying.
I’m definitely going to have a conversation with building control tomorrow as this was discussed at an early stage.
I do remember that 12 months prior to this project we converted a garage into a tv room and the electrician then, issued an installation cert with the recommendation of a new CU and this cert was definitely asked for by control.

I will hopefully have more answers after tomorrow’s conversation with building control..

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

He's done what he quoted them for (put a new board on). The work hes actually done is not necessarily bad and he's left the house safer than he found it.
Ok so he's not done it exactly how its supposed to be done and its not something I'd do but I also wouldnt get upset about someone else doing this and go to great lengths to grass them up. If trading standards were to actually take action against this guy just because one of his competetors didn't agree with his methods I'd be very surprised.

Calling him a killer is a little dramatic is it not?
I am a customer, to hear you say this is not very good. A Electrician has a responsibility to his customer. Bad Electricians can be referred to as Terrorists. Because they are prepared to kill someone with there bad work. There must be stricter laws to prevent these people (a jail sentence maybe. To deter them). I have come across a criminal Electrician and I am taking him to court.

I am a customer, to hear you say this is not very good. A Electrician has a responsibility to his customer. Bad Electricians can be referred to as Terrorists. Because they are prepared to kill someone with there bad work. There must be stricter laws to prevent these people (a jail sentence maybe. To deter them). I have come across a criminal Electrician and I am taking him to court.
Bloody hell mate, you’re replying to a comment made nearly 10 years ago….👀😂

Reply to How to report a bad electrician??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock