Discuss I came across a belter today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am at a customers to do a consumer unit swap amongst other bits and bobs and its one of those jobs where you end up fault finding and rectifying before you even strike a blow.

Well, fitting some replacement outside security lights to existing feeds off the lighting circuit, I was baffled to find that flipping the breaker at the board for both lighting circuits the feeds to the security lights were still live. Just so happens after digging around that in the loft, some bright spark has connected a 1.5mm T+E into a ceiling rose, fitted a plug to the other end and plugged it in to the ring circuit. :eek:

I quickly removed this and found the reason they had done this was because they had a broken neutral in the lighting circuit. Rather than find and fix this, they just tapped into the ring.

The other beauty found in the same property is the armoured feed going out to the garage in this JB in the loft. Guess what they did with the armour.
IMG_0897.jpg

Gee, let me think ...
But it's ok there's secret warning red tape on the box o_O

I know I was wondering what the significance of that was. Perhaps its to warn you that it gets hot when you are welding in the garage. The armoured feeds a sub board in the garage.

This is the same JB that is giving me 47Ω R1+R2 at a socket which is spurred off from it. Loose connections and cables screwed down on their insulation...

Where to start

Reply to I came across a belter today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi. I'm in the process of getting my qualifications and am taking on some small jobs for family to try and get some experience in. Today I was...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views
Hi, looking for some ideas on this. I went to an address on Tuesday following a storm where property has been struck by lightning. When the...
Replies
Views
Just interested in peoples thinking on using the neutral through the earthing system like I came across today. I've come across many wrong...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock