Discuss I have been told...... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spudnik

that its about time we thought about getting PV system installed on our house.

Now, whilst i am (possibly) up for this, i dont really want to have to pay for the install (yep, im tight etc etc) so i am thinking of just going for a free install etc.

So, i have two questions...

1 - Is there anyone in the Hampshire/New forest area that can do the install that can be recommended,

2 - Realistically, how much equipment needs to installed inside, as the problem we may have is that my current electricity, CU and gas meters are tucked away nicely in the corner of our kitchen in an under worktop cupboard that is 1000mm in width.

We have a south facing roof, pitch and size i am a little unsure of however, our neighbours have just had 16 panels installed comfortably, and i think we may be able to get a couple more in.

Thanks chaps.

J

Your 4 weeks too late for a freebie tbh, otherwise we would have nipped down from Salisbury to take a look - given the lower tariff renta roof schemes will be struggling.

On your small CU issue - do you have an external supply cupboard? usually a connection can be made there and the bulk of the equipment can sit in the loft.

Paying for your own panels is likely to be vastly more "profitable".

By my reckoning, I can only manage to trim my electricity bill by about one-third, due to the erratic output of my solar panels. For a fairly "typical" £450 annual bill, that's only £150 per year, with the potential eyesore (if not sympathetically installed) and with the risk of difficulties moving home if the panels are not yours.

On the other hand, a £10k outlay for a 3.6kWp system can be giving you much more than £150 of benefits per year. More like three times that as a minimum and comparing very favourably with that £10k being "invested" in bonds or shares. "Profit" is potentially much more if inflation or energy inflation is higher than the Bank of England's 3% target.

My mortgage advisor called me for advice (thats a first) about this very same thing about 6 weeks ago.
He had 4 customers in a week that he could not get a good deal for on a mortgage because a third party had a lease on the roof.
It is Financial institutions that fund the rentaroof schemes, because they were so profitable, my advise would always be borrow the money yourself, and keep full title of your property.
I feel some people that have a mortgage on their property and go for a rentaroof scheme may end up paying dearly for it.

I know of several companies doing free installs upto end of June providing your EPC is D or higher, other concerns are there, if you are living in your house forever and leaving cloggs up then maybe OK.

Free Solar is not for everyone and if you can spend £7,000 to £10,000 dependent on equipment then you may be better doing that (prices based on 3.68 to 4kw) obviously the higher price is using well known kit as the lower price is a mixture.

Reply to I have been told...... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net