Discuss I have decided... after a long time i want to become an Electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yeah but is their a qualified spark with you? I don't want to put to much on CV saying i know everything because i don't... I'm learning more and more by the day but i can still tell you more about how to plumb a house for top to bottom than wire it, but i am getting their... sockets, ceiling rose, downlights, fire alarms, LED strips... i find all that easy, im currently going through some methods and diagrams to help me understand.

Yeah but is their a qualified spark with you? I don't want to put to much on CV saying i know everything because i don't... I'm learning more and more by the day but i can still tell you more about how to plumb a house for top to bottom than wire it, but i am getting their... sockets, ceiling rose, downlights, fire alarms, LED strips... i find all that easy, im currently going through some methods and diagrams to help me understand.
As far as i see it the CV is just your way to get you in front of someone. That's when you can be more detailed. I put everything i know how to do to a decent standard on my CV. Can i plaster like a proper, seasoned plasterer? No. But it looks the -------s when i've painted it so i say i can plaster. Am i as fast as a plumber? Hells no, but i can do it and make it leak-free. So i put it on my CV. I go into details if asked at interview.

The best thing is you're a younger lad showing huge initiative. That's worth its weight in gold trust me - the younger apprentices at work are USELESS. They think work means 'stand around on your phone all day reading Instagram and when there's nothing to do, don't stand there and be available in case anyone needs you, disappear and go sit in the cabin for 2 hours.'

To address a couple of points raised and likey reiterate some prior answers ...

Apprenticeships are possible at any age, but funding for employers is only available up to the age of 24 - as such colleges mainly cater for apprentices starting up to the age of 24.

Self-employment is unusual as an apprentice, but is not an issue. It would mean that you apply for funding, rather than your employer, so might limit options when finding someone to work with.

If you want it badly enough, you'll make it happen - I'm 45, living in NI and started an apprenticeship this year.

Find someone to take you on, then keep your head down, study hard, work hard and prove to your employer that your employment is very profitable.

To address a couple of points raised and likey reiterate some prior answers ...

Apprenticeships are possible at any age, but funding for employers is only available up to the age of 24 - as such colleges mainly cater for apprentices starting up to the age of 24.

Self-employment is unusual as an apprentice, but is not an issue. It would mean that you apply for funding, rather than your employer, so might limit options when finding someone to work with.

If you want it badly enough, you'll make it happen - I'm 45, living in NI and started an apprenticeship this year.

Find someone to take you on, then keep your head down, study hard, work hard and prove to your employer that your employment is very profitable.
45yr apprentice in NI? I'm from Co. Derry/Londonderry i have contacted electrical firms as far as 1, 15minutes drive from me... on another note you have to be given a chance to prove this... i can't even get that... not to sound like i want to get hand fed it but how did you get yours and where are you from?

45yr apprentice in NI? I'm from Co. Derry/Londonderry i have contacted electrical firms as far as 1, 15minutes drive from me... on another note you have to be given a chance to prove this... i can't even get that... not to sound like i want to get hand fed it but how did you get yours and where are you from?

It can be soul destroying, but keep knocking on doors. At your age, with an employer you'll be able to go to any college - over 24 you might have to travel considerable distances for a college that will accommodate older apprentices.

It can be soul destroying, but keep knocking on doors. At your age, with an employer you'll be able to go to any college - over 24 you might have to travel considerable distances for a college that will accommodate older apprentices.
Mate to get an apprenticeship over here is like hens teeth... I'm not going to stop trying though... learn more and more to im accepted as worthy

Is that an NI only thing? I'm 34 and my employer is getting £3k for me.

Not sure, but it's certainly how things are in NI. I've heard a rumour that the age cap may be removed in the near future, but for now it makes gaining an adult apprenticeship something of a challenge.

Not sure, but it's certainly how things are in NI. I've heard a rumour that the age cap may be removed in the near future, but for now it makes gaining an adult apprenticeship something of a challenge.

Is that an NI only thing? I'm 34 and my employer is getting £3k for me.
I think its 3k with covid and your employer pays 10% of your training (I think)

The age cap was removed in England at least and now it's open to anyone, but for those 16-19 the employer gets an extra grand.
I think its 3k with covid and your employer pays 10% of your training (I think)
Yeah they get £3k but have to pay £900 to my training.

Yeah they get £3k but have to pay £900 to my training.

It would be nice if that happens here as my employer receives nothing beyond the cost of the course and I'm acutely aware that they pay every penny I earn. Hopefully that's proving to be a worthwhile investment, but it would be great if my hours where even more profitable for them.

It would be nice if that happens here as my employer receives nothing beyond the cost of the course and I'm acutely aware that they pay every penny I earn. Hopefully that's proving to be a worthwhile investment, but it would be great if my hours where even more profitable for them.
if your 24yr plus in NI your employer pays 50% of your training the government pays the other 50%

in ni gov pays 50% and your employer pays 50%

in NI G0V pay 50 percent and your employed pays 50 percent

in NI the high lords p4y half and your employer p4ys the other half....

well i stilln have hope

Reply to I have decided... after a long time i want to become an Electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock