Discuss I might regret this in the Electricians Forums Suggestions area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Thought I'd spark a debate about these giphy gif images we have available.

Click the three dots next to the smilie face. Then click GIF. And you can find one that works for you.

Now I can't remember if I hid them, and if so then was it for everybody or just newbies or what.

But either way I thought we should discuss whether enabling them and what the rules could be around them SHOULD we end up agreeing the odd one is okay?

I love this forum for being so clean. We don't swear much and if we do it's usually in the arms. I know we can work around most censorship stuff, but we do allow it.

And even so its still all polite stuff, mainly.

Do you think if we did use them it'd make the place lose its professionalism?

Perhaps in the arms we could allow them?

Or just the choice of thread starter?

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

Question Mark Idk GIF by US National Archives

While we're at it, test the voting out by upping the stuff you agree with.

Last edited:
I personally don't like them they are fine with text messages but will make it look unprofessional on here.

I always worry about lifespan of these things. There have been dozens over the years. Most recent twitter. If we allowed the parsing of tweets getting embedded (when they show up as if they're on twitter, all likes and share info along with it) then that would have just ballsed up as they've just changed the way their API keys work. There have been several emoji companies go bust and then those not load. Its a nightmare trying to scrub broken stuff it's almost always manually.

So I tend to think it's not worth risking using them personally but wondered what the wider thoughts were.

Biggest issue I ever saw for forums was the time photobucket went from being free to charging an exhorbitent rate which few were prepared to pay. Threads were decimated where images formed part of the conversation.

I find them distracting, when trying to read and understand something technical it is irritating and off putting to have some moving image of a dog humping a leg or cat doing back flips.

Thumbs down from me.

I don’t mind the little emojis… and use them myself, although sparingly, and only to convey what I type is possibly a joke.

As for censorship…. Swearing in the Arms is ok, but not in the general forum where we are trying to portray ourselves as professionals.
Even when the OP is a right T******* and is struggling to define the difference between his exit hole and the joint between forearm and bicep? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pmsl alright thank god for that!

Please pull me up on them then when I use them! I'll try find and remove them ASAP.

I know this is not quite what you are referring to, but I block any member who has a profile that includes anything dancing, jiggling, buzzing about etc. I can't stand that sort of stuff, either in posts or profiles, and find it very distracting and also unprofessional.

I know this is not quite what you are referring to, but I block any member who has a profile that includes anything dancing, jiggling, buzzing about etc. I can't stand that sort of stuff, either in posts or profiles, and find it very distracting and also unprofessional.
Report them. They're not allowed an animated gif. Or profile image that's animated.

If they upload another once I've removed one, I remove their ability to edit their avatar etc.

Always hated that.

If it aint bust, don't fix it.... rules to live by!

Emoji's are essential on here as that's how we access the various symbols we use like Ω ∆ ° and so on, but anything else is just distraction. If you want to watch cat videos got to InstaTikTube.

I will pretend they don't exist!

Reply to I might regret this in the Electricians Forums Suggestions area at ElectriciansForums.net