Discuss I Pity future of Industry in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tbs1983

Need a good rant.

Got a new apprentice started with us and he shows little or no interest in the job, has his hands in his pockets all day or on mobile phone, sleeps through dinner, and only does anything after being asked (never proactive in finding tasks).
The last one we had was just as bad.

Is it just me ( I'm only 31) or do the youngsters these days not seem to care about learning the trade and showing enthusiasm and a good impression.

I for one can't be doing with it anymore, i'd rather do the job myself than try and help someone who doesn't care.

Rant over.

I feel your pain, We had an 18 Year old who's only interests were Texting his mates, smoking cigarettes and phoning in sick !

Complete waste of time and effort on our part as he never went to college when supposed to.

I remember being that age of course I do (17 years ago now) but was never this rude and disrespectful.

Social Media has a lot to answer for, !

Good luck

Need a good rant.

Got a new apprentice started with us and he shows little or no interest in the job, has his hands in his pockets all day or on mobile phone, sleeps through dinner, and only does anything after being asked (never proactive in finding tasks).
The last one we had was just as bad.

Is it just me ( I'm only 31) or do the youngsters these days not seem to care about learning the trade and showing enthusiasm and a good impression.

I for one can't be doing with it anymore, i'd rather do the job myself than try and help someone who doesn't care.

Rant over.
Spot on agree with everything you say,it's not just me then ,so relieved

not my say as I work for company. What I started doing with last apprentice was going to depot early and loading up and disappearing before he arrived so he had to go with someone else !!! harsh but I was up to here with him in the end !!!

There are some good ones!

I am a 20 year old apprentice 4th year!

interested in learning the job! only use my phone on dinner time all the other time its on silent!

Had a similar young lad at my last place, thought he knew it all and would not be told how things are done. Constantly texting and fell asleep at every opportunity he got.
Always blamed everyone else for his f##k ups. Then he had the cheek to say he wasnt payed enough. I stuck him for about 10 weeks before i finally said i could not work with him. He lasted 7 months before they had to let him go and he was given every opportunity going. SHAME!!

Glad to hear there are some good ones about. keep at it guys. Ask the old farts as many questions as u can. I still do regularly. You will be glad you did one day. Good luck with your careers

There are some good ones!

I am a 20 year old apprentice 4th year!

interested in learning the job! only use my phone on dinner time all the other time its on silent!
I agree, there is definatly good ones. That is more to the point why someone who is not interested should not be retained. Also there are some crap companies and some crap electricians to learn (or not) from, so it cuts both ways!!

Threaten him with the bullet on second thoughts they are so not bothered I doubt if that would have any effect.

Rule one, the phone stays in your locker or tool chest.

Lunch break, “we’ll go through your log book (portfolio).” I didn’t have to give up my break but I thought it worthwhile. It’s what the tradesmen did with me.

How much effort are you putting in to it?

To the OP, I think the best thing you can do is to tell the lado what you actually think about his attitude to work, better still show him this thread and let the replies be the reality check he needs. I think they just assume that one day they wake up and become an electrician without putting any meaningful effort in after all most have been handed everything they have on a plate.

The falling asleep bit would soon be cured with the hot teaspoon on the back of the neck ( oh the memories ) good old days and it worked as well. but now with the cotton wool world we live in you just cant get away with it.

Reply to I Pity future of Industry in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net