Discuss Induction High Bay Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markc17

Hi all, wanted some opinions if possible.
I have a gymnasium that contains 15 400W HID highbay metal halide lights. The lights are a good 8 metres from the floor, accessed only by genie lift. The fittings are about 18 years old. Every few years a full lamp change is done, and i recently did this change to find that some of the lights wouldnt strike the new lamps, and would only strike the old ones. Am assuming this is due to the ignitors not working to full capacity on a new lamp. Not all ignitors are generic and work with any ballast, and before i go buy 15 replacement fittings id just like some advise. Have looked at LED lighting but am told that nothing yet really would give out the same light as 15 400W MH at 8 metres up.
A gentleman i was speaking to told me that he would put up an induction high bay lighting system. I read into this a little and there seems to be alot of 'fors' and not so many againsts...
Anyone out there put up such a light, and if so how did you find it? Im told that a 200W induction light will give out the same light as 500W MH.. is this actually true, and in which case could i realistically reduce the number of fittings in there?

Cheers all,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I know nothing on high bay induction, but am interested, do you have any product websites?

p.s. LEDs are definitely there, just not at a price you will be willing to spend. My pet project head mounted work light puts out over 4000lm on max and that is on 3 year old tech.

Hi mate,

Not so much out there to be honest... seems the technology is evolving alongside the LED stuff... lamp life hours being put at 100,000 now. You are right to say about the price of the LED lights, its not me paying but i know they will look at the short term cost and NOT the long term savings. I can buy a MH 400W replacement with glass for under 100 pound and im sure any LED tech that IS actually capable of emmiting that kinda light will be many more times that. Thats what will be the deciding factor im sure.
Only websites ive found are ones like this that dont give very much:
Ridgeline Highbay Lighting, Induction High Bay Lights, Energy Saving/Efficient High Bay Lighting Suppliers - ME Lighting (UK) Ltd
My time sat at work searching on a computer is limited so if you do find anything of interest or any rough pricing id be very interested to know. Definately something to keep an eye on even if not for right now.
:)
Mark

The thing that frustrates me about LED lighting is the discrete chips are so far ahead of the completed modules!

I can buy LED chips at 147l/m that are 3 watt each for a few quid, yet nothing in a module that I trust above 60lm/w.... why oh why do they do this!!!!

Also to have a look into is cfl lamps, a rendered 6400k 250/300w lamp will retro-fit in most cases the high and low bay box style fittings ive just replaced 12 lowbay metal hallides 250watt with 100w cfl 6400k lamps all that was needed was the control gear to be disconnected and power straight to lamp-holder, at a cost of approx £40 per lamp ive estimated a running cost saving of £1500 over there 3-4yr service, with a 1 to 1.5 years running period before they have offset the upfront installation costs.
Their are several brands out there but ive only found one so far that retrofit the low/high bay box fittings due to there physical size.

The CFL fix is what we did recently. By we I mean my boss, I would have done the maths before a design and not ****ed it up.

The efficacy of our new fantastic CFLs is lower than the old halides that were taken out.

So they spent a LOT of money reducing the efficiency of the lighting.

Now I am trying to fix it.

Anyway, what is wrong with LEDS?

Have a look at Altoeco - Energy efficient warehouse and factory lighting these work extremely well in sports halls and are inexpensive to maintain.

Very expensive to install tho` Tony eh?

Just fell across this post - apart from anything, I would be very curious to know lamp/controlgear type & manufacturer, as the scenario the OP has described is actually counter-intuitive. Very often, as the lamps age, the ordinarily very high voltage pulse required to strike an arc becomes just too great for the ignitor to deliver. The ignitors really shouldn`t struggle to strike the new lamps if they fired up the old ones okay. Its perhaps due to either a faulty batch or an incompatibility issue between gear/ignitor/lamp. Have seen both occur.

I might be off on this, but I thought old lamps had a reduced strike voltage, but needed a higher voltage to maintain?

Good chance I am wrong as I am a total learner in hid, LEDs are what I know.

Very expensive to install tho` Tony eh?

Just fell across this post - apart from anything, I would be very curious to know lamp/controlgear type & manufacturer, as the scenario the OP has described is actually counter-intuitive. Very often, as the lamps age, the ordinarily very high voltage pulse required to strike an arc becomes just too great for the ignitor to deliver. The ignitors really shouldn`t struggle to strike the new lamps if they fired up the old ones okay. Its perhaps due to either a faulty batch or an incompatibility issue between gear/ignitor/lamp. Have seen both occur.

Not expensive to install, they go one for one, have longer life and save energy. The cost of aquistion is much, much lower than the cost of ownership so look at savings over life of units. If you look at the Venture Lighting site you will see a study that shows that the economical life of an HID lamp is 60% of its rated life,so that makes it 6 - 7000 hrs before its output starts to fall and its input rises.

hi,We have many different type LED high bay lights,
if you are interested in it,
Then we will offer more details and best price to you,
looking forward to hear from you soon,
Best Regards,
Rose

hi,We have many different type LED high bay lights,
if you are interested in it,
Then we will offer more details and best price to you,
looking forward to hear from you soon,
Best Regards,
Rose
These threads you are posting on are years old in some cases and if you wish to advertise your products or sevices then get in contact with admin' and arrange sponsorship of the site...

These threads you are posting on are years old in some cases and if you wish to advertise your products or sevices then get in contact with admin' and arrange sponsorship of the site...

hi, thanks for your suggestion. i am new member at this site, so i am not very familiar with it.

Reply to Induction High Bay Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net