Discuss Changing heating element on Siemens oven in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Eamoex

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

as the title says, I need to change the upper heating element on my HE10AB220/C oven. I've never done that and it seems pretty easy, as in cutting off current on the breaker panel, pulling out the old element end replacing it with the new, but I have two questions:

1. I can't find a procedure for this exact model and would like to make sure it's possible to do it all from the front access (the unit is built in and I don't want to pull it out). Does anyone know about this?
  2. I find non-Siemens spare parts which are 3 to 4 times cheaper; are these acceptable alternatives or is it better to spend more there? What are the risks?
Many thanks in advance
Best

All the oven elements ive changed have been the same.... but maybe siemens is different??

If you can get to the screw from inside the cavity, then it should be easy enough.

Isolate the supply... and check it with a voltage tester...
Undo the screw.... the element should come away.
The wires will have crimped ends and be pushed onto a tabs on the element... when you take them off, make sure the wire doesn't spring back into the hole, or you could lose it...

3rd party spare parts are cheaper, of course... but there's more than just cost involved.

will a genuine siemens part last 3 to 4 times longer than the cheaper make?

will fitting non-genuine parts invalidate any warranty? (unlikely, or you'de be getting the element changed under warranty)

I also find that the screws become near impossible to move if the oven itself is old. They can get dirty, deteriorate with age, and are usually made of a soft metal.
Make sure the size of screwdriver is correct, or you could mess up the screw head

Thanks for your insights littlespark. Seems doable. As to the origin of parts, yes, you're probably right. That money certainly goes somewhere -- and I hope it's the quality of alloys and welds on the element... :)

One thing I find is a customer might ask me to replace a part… and I soon learn that this is maybe the second element… or control knobs.. or digital clock module… even door hinges.

Although repair seems to be the cheapest, and the “greenest” option… there comes a time when it really is time to buy new.

Oh I get that for sure. Here it's not the problem though. The oven is in very good condition, and works well, just the heating element is warped (and has even bubbled in one place). I don't know what the previous owner has done, but it has to be something not recommended in the manual...

Reply to Changing heating element on Siemens oven in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net