Discuss Industrial LED Low Bay / High Bay Lighting in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MRES

I have been asked to put together a proposal to replace 176 x 400 Watt High Bays for a more energy efficient option. The client has been told by his superiors they would like LED low bays or high bays. I am a little sceptical as to whether:

A) LED`s can produce a light output equivalent to that of a 400W High Bay :confused:
B) Reliability of these fittings as up to now I can only source fittings made in the far east :confused:

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of lighting application ?

I am preparing an alternate proposal too which includes installing 208 6 x 55W PLL Ansell fittings controlled by dimmable ballasts and daylight sensors.

I have had designs drawn up for the PLL fittings by using Dialux and Relux software and also a CIBSE approved designer who told me to stay away from LED Low Bays / High Bays for at least 10 years. He said by all means he would use LED lighting for decorative or mood purposes but nothing else.

Any comments or advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Mark

I have been looking at the LED alternatives in industrial lighting for a while now, LED high bays and low bays can be a great alternative if you are dealing wih the right supplier which there are a few of in the UK, but the capital cost for that amount of fittings will be extortionate and will take years to pay themselves back.

I myself am a lighting designer and my opinion would be to look a induction lighting, they aren't as costly and are low energy. They also have a life span up to 100,000 hours, fit and forget. I believe they are the future of industrial lighting. But you also need to have a good supplier, to ensure quality, if you search the web there are a few in the UK with a great rep.

have a look in your local BnQ if its a newish one (at the building not their stock) they use 4 or 8 x 54w t 5 lamps Iv used the same in a supermarket warehouse one problem we did have was the lamps last about a year and as they were using forklifts we had to get we got the shatterproof lamps ( a tad dearer but better than some stoopid forky losing an eye )

If you ever have to fit anymore of these try using our ukled t5 led tube it is a brand new design using the brand new 3528 smd led give very long life and is pvc. because we are the manufacturer the price is very favourable we also guarentee it for three years.

I have been asked to put together a proposal to replace 176 x 400 Watt High Bays for a more energy efficient option. The client has been told by his superiors they would like LED low bays or high bays. I am a little sceptical as to whether:

A) LED`s can produce a light output equivalent to that of a 400W High Bay :confused:
B) Reliability of these fittings as up to now I can only source fittings made in the far east :confused:

I am preparing an alternate proposal too which includes installing 208 6 x 55W PLL Ansell fittings controlled by dimmable ballasts and daylight sensors.

I have had designs drawn up for the PLL fittings by using Dialux and Relux software and also a CIBSE approved designer who told me to stay away from LED Low Bays / High Bays for at least 10 years. He said by all means he would use LED lighting for decorative or mood purposes but nothing else.

Thanks

Mark

We manufacture all industrial and normal led lighting. I'll think you'll find if you get the right quality high bay using ultra bright leds like we do, it will work for you. We also guarentee all our led products for three years thats how confident we are with our stuff.

Hi Mark,

I've been in lighting sales for 25-years and having suffered two redundancies in recent years I've decided to have a go at self employed lighting design. Recently I worked for a UK based LED luminaire manufacturer and so have some experience of the LED lighting business. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are as follows.

A) LED`s can produce a light output equivalent to that of a 400W High Bay

Assuming the existing lamps are metal halide the lumen output could be anywhere from 22000lms for Osram 400W HME E40 type to 38000lms for Venture 400W HIT E40 type. I have yet to find a LED highbay that claims an equivalent lumen output. One highbay I found on the net has a output of 9500lms at 100W and the supplier claims it can be "used as a direct replacement for 400w-450w sodium or metal halide high bay lights".You might well ask how, given the huge difference in output, this could be the case. Photometric data for LED luminaires is presented as being "absolute" whilst data for convetional lumioniares is "relative". So for a LED luminaire the only quantity measured is the luminaire lumens and therefore, by default, the luminaire efficiency is considered to be 100%. With relative photometry the luminaire efficiency is a ratio of the lamp lumens that exit the luminaire. For example

Relative photometry: 1000 lamp lumens, 700 luminaire lumens = 70% efficiency.
Absolute photometry: 1000 lamp lumens, 700 luminaire lumens = 100% efficiency.

I'm not sure that this default 100% efficiency compensates for the actual shortfall in bare lumens available.

B) Reliability of these fittings as up to now I can only source fittings made in the far east

I agree that a lot of stuff is coming in from the far east, this includes a lot of products offered by UK based "manufacturers/suppliers". To be fair some of the stuff I've seen is not that bad but, in my opinion, this wouldn't account for more than 5 - 10% of the total amount of products being marketed. On the other hand isn't everything made in China these days, even good quality companies have maunfacturing bases there. I wouldn't dismiss LED highbays as quickly as your designer has done. Its a question of sourcing the right product. I wouldn't have too much problem recommending a product, if they have what you want, from a major European manufacturer e.g. Thorn, Philips etc. With lesser known suppliers, of whom there are many jumping on the bandwagon, I would be a little more cautious. I always ask them to supply photometric data so I can carry out a design test. If they can't then they are off my list, if they can't prove their claims then they don't get used! I also look at their warranty, it should be at least five years or more if have any confidence in their product. It is interesting that a lot of LED manufacturers/suppliers will confidently claim 50,000-hours life, but only offer a 1, 2 or 3-year warranty. It strikes me as a bit of a credibility gap.

LED is still a relatively new light source in terms of general area lighting. I have no doubt that it ultimately replace a lot existing light sources. However it may possibly an answer rather than the answer. I agree with Martin Conway that induction might be worth a look.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks

Mark

I HAVE BEEN IMPORTING LED LOW BAY LAMPS FROM CHINA SINCE 2010 THEY ARE 60 WATT SMD PANELS IN A HEXAGONAL SHAPE WITH ABOUT 650 LED'S
PER LAMP, THEY HAVE AN E40 BASE, SO TO CONVERT A 400 WATT METAL HALIDE FITTING TO LED ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS REMOVE THE GLASS LENS AND
BALLAST, CONNECT THE SUPPLY DIRECT TO THE LAMP HOLDER AND JOB DONE, THE LAMPS RUN AT 65 WATTS AS THEY HAVE AN INTERNAL COOLING FAN
5000 - 6500K COOL WHITE IS THE BEST COLOUR AND A GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR 400 WATT METAL HALIDE, YOU CAN SEE THEM WORKING AT
www.mjelectrics.co.uk,

Regards Murray

I wouldn't use LEDs, I would go with Martin Conways suggestion, i.e induction lighting, 100,000 hr life, instant start up etc.
Off the top of my head I would say a 200w induction high bay should easily replace a 400W metal halide.

Last edited:
I've created a commercial lighting guide that answers many of these questions. It compares existing technology with new LED technology.

In many cases installing T5 fluorescent fittings with occupancy sensors is the best way to go and provides a faster ROI. The sensor dims the lights down to 10% when nobody is present and up to 100% when they are, they also have lux settings to. So if sufficient daylight is available they won't come on.

But choosing the right fittings for commercial lighting depends on many factors such as mounting height, whether sufficient daylight is available, how many hours per day the is occupied, available budget and so. More info here:
http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/files/Commercial-Lighting-V1.2-Small.pdf?1055224317

Lol this thread.

Have a look into the Carbon Trust fella, it may pay for all your LED Lowbays and then some. You pay the loan back through the Electricity you save. No strings.

Enter the Monty Python team Vikings:

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
Lovely spam lovely spam
Lovely spam lovely spam
I like spam, I’m going to have:
Spam eggs spam beans spam spam spam and spam
Shadup! Bloody Vikings

I have installed lots of induction lights they are efficient and good lux output give me a pm if you want more details regards Darren

Enter the Monty Python team Vikings:

Lovely spam lovely spam
Lovely spam lovely spam
I like spam, I’m going to have:
Spam eggs spam beans spam spam spam and spam
Shadup! Bloody Vikings​

Reply to Industrial LED Low Bay / High Bay Lighting in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net