Discuss Industrial lighting for home use - UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark2469

DIY
Reaction score
Is the advice I’ve been given correct? The existing lighting in my loft and garage is dark. In my daughter’s work they had some industrial lighting tubes in the warehouse that were no longer required, so she brought round 2 big light fittings. When I looked at the fittings, they seem to have 2.5 twin and earth armoured cable going into the fitting but my existing cabling in the loft and garage is 1.5 twin and earth (I think?). When I queried this, she asked a colleague (not sure if he’s an electrician) who had already fitted two lights in his garage and he said “The lights are standard 240v. There is a step down transformer in each unit providing 12v to the bulbs, so the existing 1.5 twin and earth will be fine”. Is this correct? Also, how do I open the silver brackets to get inside the unit? I’m thinking that I put a screwdriver in the clip under the circular hole. Thanks

Attached photos

Attachments

• 1605448036699.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1605448036693.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 34
  • 1605448036696.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1605448036688.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
Is the advice I’ve been given correct? The existing lighting in my loft and garage is dark. In my daughter’s work they had some industrial lighting tubes in the warehouse that were no longer required, so she brought round 2 big light fittings. When I looked at the fittings, they seem to have 2.5 twin and earth armoured cable going into the fitting but my existing cabling in the loft and garage is 1.5 twin and earth (I think?). When I queried this, she asked a colleague (not sure if he’s an electrician) who had already fitted two lights in his garage and he said “The lights are standard 240v. There is a step down transformer in each unit providing 12v to the bulbs, so the existing 1.5 twin and earth will be fine”. Is this correct? Also, how do I open the silver brackets to get inside the unit? I’m thinking that I put a screwdriver in the clip under the circular hole. Thanks

Sounds about right, 1.5mm should be fine, depending on you are not intending to keep the same IP rating of the light, without fitting the correct gland.
What new light do you have?
Can you post some pics up? Then we may be able to help with the 'silver bracket'

1-1.5 sq mm cable will be fine.
The diffuser clips should just flick down to open (Finger pressure usually)
Recommend a compression gland with oval grommet if using flat twin and earth which should be ok temp wise in an attic.
The fittings will have a 12v led driver inside, which to all intents and purposes 'steps the voltage down' but also rectifies to DC.

Is the attached photo a compression gland? If not what is it and what is it's purpose. Two replies have mentioned this, so it seems to be important. Only one of these came with it, so do I need only two? One light in the loft and one in the garage. Thanks

Attachments

• 1605476100943.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 23
Is the attached photo a compression gland? If not what is it and what is it's purpose. Two replies have mentioned this, so it seems to be important. Only one of these came with it, so do I need only two? One light in the loft and one in the garage. Thanks
That is a CW SWA Gland, the gland you need is a "Compression Gland for Flat Cable". They can be bought very cheaply from your local electrical wholesaler or any other DIY Shop, they should look like this:
Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 21.50.02.png
You can take the old metal SWA Gland out, replace it with one of these and just feed the 1/1.5mm twin and earth in thru the hole.

Reply to Industrial lighting for home use - UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net