Discuss installation Reference methods how do you choose? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently got pulled up over my reference method I put down on a fuse board change at an assessment.

I chose to use reference method C and he said he wasn't happy because there could be worse in the house. I had been in teh lost there was no insulation other than vermiculite and the cable was on top of that unclipped from the joist.

So how do you choose specially on a domestic which you have not installed and have limited information unless you start ripping the house apart?

He’s probably expecting a 101,102 etc... even if there is no insulation to speak of.
What are construction of the walls? Use that, as generally the majority of the length of cables are in the vertical drops.

Yeah I think he was its mostly brick so i used "C" his issue was the fact i had a shower on a 40amp it is a 6mm cable.
I have only recently started doing certs as i have worked for other people up to now and its monkey see, monkey do but I am sure they use C all the time yet i have been on jobs when there has been 150mm of insulation and still "C" so how do they not get pulledx

I think if i had chosen the most simple job going there would have been an issue with it lol
I had a "jobs worth" assessor once, he picked me up on the Ze of an earth rod. Although the value was well within the minimum reco of the regs he insisted that it was non compliant so failed me on this. I phoned the governing body's office and complained and they re-instated my compliance. Turns out he was notorious for being a hard nose and once commented that he always intends to find fault with every person/company he assesses else he's not doing his job properly.
On the other end of the spectrum I had an assessor who came to my company office was real friendly, took a quick glance through my paper work, briefly inspected 2 jobs i'd done and happily passed me for compliance.

i have been on jobs when there has been 150mm of insulation and still "C" so how do they not get pulledx

That depends what you mean by 'pulled'

If you just mean being questioned on the decision then they probably were and simply answered the question without fuss.

I've had lots of questions at assessment time about the way I have done things, but I have always given well reasoned answers to the questions and not had a problem.
[automerge]1574118162[/automerge]
oh the other one was i done an r1-r2 test but i apparently didn't check polarity properly

OK, so what did you do to test the polarity and did they explain what you had done wrong?

Reply to installation Reference methods how do you choose? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net