Discuss IR test on DOL to motor on am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i have my am2 coming up soon. Was just curious as to how you test the dol tobthe motor after doing the global IR test, testing strappers and ring etc. Do you test from the dol going to the motor, or from the motor to the DOL, or does it matter?
Any advice would be great. I have used this forum a lot recently and received really good advice.

Cheers

DOL? that is direct on line, usually a motor and starter for the motor, I am a little confused, what are you actually asking> are you asking about how to IR test a motor?

When doing a ir test on the cables you have pulled in from the dol to the motor, is it best to test from the dol side to motor or the motor side back to the dol?

you will only be able to test the phase cabling to earth either way, I would test from the DOL starter, not the motor, I would also disconnect cabling from the DOL, you are testing the cabling not the equipment, remember you will get a short across the motor Between Phase and neutral, hense phases to earth only, if you have to test all cabling then you will need to disconnect all cabling.

You just need to teatbthe cable you pulled in. It is a 3 core and earth. So, just test all phases to earth from the dol to motor. There would be no need to disconnect then cables then?

Cheers

Be careful about the cabling in the DOL, there will be links to a start stop station and there will be overloads to protect the motor.

You can test either way, so long as you do all the required tests (each phase to each other phase and each phase to earth for a 3 core and earth cable) whether you test at one end of the cable or the other is immaterial.
IR testing motor DOL circuit.jpg

You do not need to no, but be careful, you will get readings between phases, depending on how the starter is connected you will be putting 500 volts across control gear, that said it should be okay on a standard DOL.

You are only testing the cables that you have installed so do a ir fron the mcb to the DOL and theb from the other side of the DOL to the motor points as there will not be a motor installed it will just be a few connection points to simulate the points in a motor.

So test both to the dol and from the dol no point in testing the dol its self

Reply to IR test on DOL to motor on am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net