Discuss Is this set up illegal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a private renter and been in the property over 5 years, 3 weeks ago I had a message saying the electrician was coming to do a check. He turned up and asked where the trip board is so I showed him ( under the stairs that had been turned into a downstairs toilet with a sink.
He first noticed the trip box was all on the same fuse, so if one tripped they all went. He then asked where the main fuse was, which I had no idea as it was all tiled. He eventually found it! Directly beneath the sink wedged I between the hot and cold pipes!! He was horrified but didn't say much to me except I'm contacting your landlord straight away. Since then I've spoken to the electrician and he has had no joy in getting in touch. I have imaged but not sure how to up load them but basically I'm 5,8 the trip board is direct eyeline, the sink height is at my waste, beneath the sink is my knees and my shins are level with the boxed in tiled main fuse box directly under the sink. I appreciate any advice, I'm no sparky, but I'm not stupid and to me it doesn't sit right considering all my neighbours are the trip board in the hallway high up and the main fuse elsewhere. Is this a landlord cowboy job? Cheers.

If you’ve got photos, we have to see this!

there’s a button below the message as you type “attach files” with a paper clip icon.
upload the photo, and when it shows below, click on “insert” Option of thumbnail or fill image… choose full image.

Is this a house converted to flats or a single dwelling?
Where is the Electricity meter in this arrangement?
It appears it's a single Main switch / RCD consumer unit.
And the DNO main fuse cutout is below the sink, if so the fuse under the sink is not the responsibility of the Landlord, however the sink and pipework is.

Pics will help but as Snowhead says its probably a RCD/Main Switch which was deemed an acceptable practice a few editions back!
The Fuse/Cutout (and presumably meter) in a cupboard under the sink shouldn't be an issue unless accessibility is impaired.

You should be asking is the installation compliant with BS7671 which is not a legal document as you should well aware of. Being compliant with BS7671 it is compliant with the Electricity at work Act which is a legal document

Hi all, I'm a private renter and been in the property over 5 years, 3 weeks ago I had a message saying the electrician was coming to do a check. He turned up and asked where the trip board is so I showed him ( under the stairs that had been turned into a downstairs toilet with a sink.
He first noticed the trip box was all on the same fuse, so if one tripped they all went. He then asked where the main fuse was, which I had no idea as it was all tiled. He eventually found it! Directly beneath the sink wedged I between the hot and cold pipes!! He was horrified but didn't say much to me except I'm contacting your landlord straight away. Since then I've spoken to the electrician and he has had no joy in getting in touch. I have imaged but not sure how to up load them but basically I'm 5,8 the trip board is direct eyeline, the sink height is at my waste, beneath the sink is my knees and my shins are level with the boxed in tiled main fuse box directly under the sink. I appreciate any advice, I'm no sparky, but I'm not stupid and to me it doesn't sit right considering all my neighbours are the trip board in the hallway high up and the main fuse elsewhere. Is this a landlord cowboy job? Cheers.
+1 for wanting pics!

The electrician who came will have been doing an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) - which should be given to the landlord on completion, but you have to be given a copy within 28 days to comply with the new Law covering private rental...

It's hard to tell from your description whether what you have is an older installation that is safe, or something that is completely bodged and unsafe - pics would definitely help...

If it's just the case that you have one RCD covering the whole installation that can be annoying, but not necessarily unsafe...

If the main fuse is directly where it is likely to be sprayed/soaked, that is an issue that needs remedying - but it's the fault of whoever put the sink there... If it's within a cupboard and just hard to access that's an inconvenience issue rather than a safety one probably.

Either way the rest of the installation should have been tested, and it should clarify what needs to be upgraded or not.

It sounds like your downstairs loo was built around what was there, probably by a builder/plumber with no idea of what electrical standards are....

Reply to Is this set up illegal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net