Search the forum,

Discuss Kbr afghanistan interview tomorrow in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a telephone interview arranged at half 12 tomorrow from project managers in kandahar air base, has anyone had any experiences of the type of questions they will ask?

Does anybody know of the living quarters they provide etc any info will be much appreciated,

Don't really want to do it but this will give me a stepping stone in life house deposit, business start up fund when home
etc

thanks!

tom

April 14th is the pull out date next year although they said it is highly highly likely that December is when the contract will finish

- - - Updated - - -

Just a sparks role working on the kandahar airfield

Thanks bud but I clam up in interviews even if there 10,000 miles away lol, they've said a few competency questions but even with all my quals ill stutter like a 40yr old virgin!

Hahaha...know what you mean.
Everything is clear in my mind, but trying to talk about it, and I'm a gibbering wreck!
Pause before each answer with an 'OK' or something, gives you a few seconds to think.

Good luck with the interview, I'd love to be able to give you advice but I'm not so good at them myself, a little pause is a good one and I suppose try not to babble lol that's my down fall.

Interviews are interviews no matter where.
Think about the sort of work you will be doing and the sort of competency they will expect from that and then think of a few questions that would prove this competency. Then practice the answers you would give.

Remember to sound competent even if you cannot manage confident (but if you can, do so).
Have a ready and practiced answer available for why you want to go out there; saying "you do not really want to do it" is not a good start!:wink5:)

If at some point things seem to be deteriorating on your conversational side, perhaps you could insert the phrase "I am much more competent at doing electrical work than I am talking about it"

Only having voice contact means you have limited chance to express yourself, some recommendations are: prepare as if for a physical interview, dress neatly, sit upright at a desk or stand up, the effect of smiling over a phone can be sensed, so smile at appropriate places.

Good luck and remember that you are capable of doing the job so this is what you need to be able to get across.

Kandahar (KAF) has a population of cica 30000 last time I passed through and is mostly NEC. Hope you like the heat along with the indirect fire that is constant this time of year!! Also, you need to make sure that you get a tax year out of the UK, so you are already over 3 months late on that front. Unless you are completely nuts then I would pass this as most of the lads I know in the Ghan are on their notice or scared to take their R&R in case they get pumped! Oh, and how does a 100 man circus tent sound for quarters??!! Better hope you don't get a top bunk!

watch out mate i know a few guys who went out not just sparks , promised the big bux and a years work , quit their jobs flew out and were back in 3 weeks companys being undercut and and losing contracts , i would get it in writing that you will be getting at least a few months work

Haha biggest one I was in was 300 man,did a year for KBR in Iraq and 2 years in Afghan with other companies. I would rate KBR as the worst. Like you say good opportunity to earn some cash, watch your tax year and time in country. KBR was 12hrs a day 7 days a week, 4 months on 14 days home, pay your own flights and get reimbursed after 30 days if u return. Not a great wage when you broke it down to hours worked. Living is tight and if they ship you about can get rough. Worst I had was 10 weeks with no shower, hot water. Minus 25C . That was up the side of a mountain in winter. Don't want to put you off as I loved the experience but just be aware it's a war zone at the start of fighting season. They don't publicize contractor deaths but believe me there's a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 76
Thought I'd give u fellas a update, got the job as electrical supervisor, been told I'm flying out to Dubai then onto kandahar by 20th sept, had my medical etc, accommodation is 2 to a room concrete structure etc as this is supervisor position I'm not cramped in tents and had all this in writing!
Apparently in charge of all the local nationals out there taking care of all reactive and planned maintenance and compliance work and only on tools 2 days a week, the rest in a office, my accountant has got round the tax issue and for a couple of hundred quid is way way worth it.
anyway wish me luck!!!

Thought I'd give u fellas a update, got the job as electrical supervisor, been told I'm flying out to Dubai then onto kandahar by 20th sept, had my medical etc, accommodation is 2 to a room concrete structure etc as this is supervisor position I'm not cramped in tents and had all this in writing!
Apparently in charge of all the local nationals out there taking care of all reactive and planned maintenance and compliance work and only on tools 2 days a week, the rest in a office, my accountant has got round the tax issue and for a couple of hundred quid is way way worth it.
anyway wish me luck!!
!

Really, ....and exactly how is that going to work?? There are rules for UK citizens working overseas outside of the UK tax system. Those rules are set in stone, and it sounds very much like you already fallen foul of those rules already if the contract terms lasts less than 12 months!! Can get even more complicated, if you're working for a company that's registered in the UK...

Really, ....and exactly how is that going to work?? There are rules for UK citizens working overseas outside of the UK tax system. Those rules are set in stone, and it sounds very much like you already fallen foul of those rules already if the contract terms lasts less than 12 months!! Can get even more complicated, if you're working for a company that's registered in the UK...

well it's a 12 month contract with a option for a further 3 if things go to plan, it's very long winded but I've been told its 100% doable regarding the tax issue, thing is with tax's there's a way around anything always has been

well it's a 12 month contract with a option for a further 3 if things go to plan, it's very long winded but I've been told its 100% doable regarding the tax issue, thing is with tax's there's a way around anything always has been

Only for those that have the means and wherefores in the first place!!!

It's ''Doable only if you clear the first 12 months of a contract. (and you don't need to pay an accountant for that. lol!!) If you're contract get's cancelled for any reason within the first 12 months, then you will be liable for UK tax on the whole amount paid to date!! You're still allowed either 60 or 90 days (can't remember which, as it hasn't affected me for a very long time now) in the UK during any 12 month period, but can't be used, for making up for the 12 months if you're contract is cancelled. Those days are classed as visiting rights and an inbound and outbound airline (or other) ticket must be able to be produced if requested by the UK's Inland Revenue.

Now things may have changed slightly over the years since such Tax Rules affected me, but i doubt if it's changed that much. Seen far too many clever Ex Pat's, that thought they could buck the system, ...the Tax Man ALWAYS ''Wins'' and they ALWAYS ''Lost''!!!!!

I'm not trying to put you off, far from it, ....just be AWARE that things can go pear shaped very quickly. Try to protect that initial 12 month oversea period as best you can....

As above. I am sure that HMRC can also use internet forums as well. So less said on the matter Tommy would be my advice. Also, you are over the old 90 day rule now anyway, as the Tax year started in April.

As above. I am sure that HMRC can also use internet forums as well. So less said on the matter Tommy would be my advice. Also, you are over the old 90 day rule now anyway, as the Tax year started in April.

There is nothing being said here that can be construed as tax evasion, Jesus why do people always think that the Tax Man is seeing and hearing everything?? They don't need to be, the tax rules that are in place, will signal any irregularities, that may need further investigation....

The UK's April to April Tax Year, doesn't or didn't apply to Expat overseas workers, it was always a straight 12 months. I can't see why the IR would change that... That only applied if the Expat worker was employed by a company that issued an employment contract that was legally recognised in the UK!!

HMRC have used Facebook in the past to 'keep an eye' on people who claim to be non resident. I know a couple of lads who have been called in and have had to explain their situation. How that would stand up in a court of law is yet to be seen.

HMRC set the rules to suit their own pockets and is always at their discretion.

Brown & Root eh, ....I've had more than a few run ins with them, or rather some of it's so-called Engineers!! One of which had a 11KV switchboard incomer redesignated as an outgoing feeder while i was on vacation!!!!

Those that know about MV switchboards, will know, that this would NOT be a very wise thing to do!! Needless to say, it didn't remain a feeder for long. That switchboard re-organisation, and back again, cost the project around $24,000!!
A snip at what it could have cost to replace half the MV switchboard, had it gone into service!!

As long as I'm getting paid I couldn't care less about the morals or politics that go on, I'm not going out there on the basis I'm working for a great well run firm who care for the employees and the environment, nor am i going on a sight seeing holiday to enjoy there wonderful weather.....

couldnt give a monkeys if they bribed anyone all I want is to get some money.

Reply to Kbr afghanistan interview tomorrow in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net