Discuss Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm not sure this law will change that though - at least not until they weed out the £80 drive by reports - or the con artists charging to slap in a metal board to replace a perfectly well installed plastic one to tick a box rather than to improve safety. Landlords have always had the requirement to maintain a 'safe' installation.

It's more about a lot of people thinking that when sockets work, nothing can be wrong, where they tend not to have that view about gas so much. That's something the governing bodies should be trying to change with all the money they are taking from their 'members'

Also (not aimed at the OP at all, but a wider point with some landlords - more often the ones with many properties) - some landlords have seen rental stock as a purely investment cash cow, where they put as little in as possible and reap the percentage rewards year after year.

There are plenty of good landlords out there of course - and then there are ones that need guidance now and again on the difference between unnecessary work and vital safety improvements that will look no different on the surface.

It will be interesting to see how AFDDs are introduced in the EICR guidance - might be a few surprises in 5 years time if every board has to be replaced.
Yes I agree that there are many quick reports carried out for quick cash by some cowboys but I do like to upgrade consumer units I’m not just saying plastic ones but consumer units with no rcd protection and the undersized main earth and bonding conductors. They are the most common reasons for me recommending consumer unit change. Yea the AFDDS will be an interesting one in the coming years just like the SPDs are now they add additional cost but have to install them it’s all necessary improvements and requirements so no issue there.

Yes I agree that there are many quick reports carried out for quick cash by some cowboys but I do like to upgrade consumer units I’m not just saying plastic ones but consumer units with no rcd protection and the undersized main earth and bonding conductors. They are the most common reasons for me recommending consumer unit change. Yea the AFDDS will be an interesting one in the coming years just like the SPDs are now they add additional cost but have to install them it’s all necessary improvements and requirements so no issue there.
Improvement in safety generally is always a good thing of course, but I would understand a landlord being miffed if he had a metal board replaced with a plastic dual RCD one 5 years ago to 'improve' things, only to be told this time he must have a metal one (by the more unscrupulous guys).

Of course, if manufacturers made their systems properly modular and backwards compatible it would be a lot easier, but clearly that's a pipe dream....

Instead we may well see the price of consumer units jump massively for a while, with very little information on why getting through to the general public as to why.

The more I look at that EICR it gives the impression of lack of experience in the construction of installations which for me is one of the skills needed to do EICR's properly

Last edited:
The price is very fair. I doubt you would get cheaper Than that. If you did I’d question how!

the points he has raised are valid, and I generally agree with them.

However you will always get differences of opinion from different sparkies. Especially on a forum.

my parents got an EICR done on there rental. I couldn’t do it due to living 400 miles away and Covid.

I didn’t agree with the codings, but the works they advised did need doing so I didn’t kick up a stink over differences of opinion. I told my parents to trust the electricians they got and go with what they said.

Yea the AFDDS will be an interesting one in the coming years just like the SPDs are now they add additional cost but have to install them it’s all necessary improvements and requirements so no issue there.
Other than compliance with the regs what gain is made from the installation of an SPD and the same goes for the installation AFDD's. Lots of hype to sell them to us but very little evidence that we do actually need them.
The mandatory installation of AFDD's will be the biggest safety fail of all times unless the unit cost is massively reduced pushing up the costs of replacing a CU that will be beyond many peoples budget and potentially putting them at risk will be difficult to explain

Completely agree with Buzz.
The report is not written badly and the price is fair. You need to get the work done in order to make it safe for your lodgers.
I'm sure if you get enough second opinions you will find one that says the work is not required, you are then tempted to follow this advice rather than all the others advising you to get the work done.
It genuinely is a fair price.

Thank you for the further replies and considered advice. Got in there today and took a few pics. I can't see any CPCs at the two switches I looked at. Don't think it is conduit system (nothing evident). The bathroom light used to have a screw-on white glass bowl - no idea where that has gone (the base of that fitting is plastic). I didn't try tripping the RCD (the tenant was at home and I didn't want to disturb them unnecessarily).

Consumer unit is Tenby with Legrand MCBs.

Cct 1 is cooker point (with integral SO).
Cct 2 is shower.
Cct 3 is sockets in kitchen.
Cct 4 is 3 twin SOs in lounge, 1 single SO in lounge, 2 twin SOs in bed1.
Cct 5 is immersion heater.
Cct 6 is 1 single SO in bed2, 2 single SOs in lounge.
Cct 7 is lights (7 fittings - hall, kitchen, bathroom, bed1, bed2, 2 in lounge)
Cct 8 is 2 twin SOs in bed2, 1 twin SO in hall, fused spur for alarm.

I think I see some 7/029 in ccts 4 and 6 (sockets) and 3/029 in cct 7 (lights). The flat is all-electric and there had been storage heaters at some point in the past (I now have plug-in oil-filled rads). I think wiring to one or more of the storage heaters was reused to fit SOs instead. It is a first floor flat with concrete floors. There is another flat above so I think the ceiling will be concrete as well.

Attachments

• Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' CU - EletriciansForums.net
    CU.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' CU left - EletriciansForums.net
    CU left.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' CU right - EletriciansForums.net
    CU right.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' Hall switch wirin - EletriciansForums.net
    Hall switch wiring.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' Bathroom light - EletriciansForums.net
    Bathroom light.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' Kitchen switch wirin - EletriciansForums.net
    Kitchen switch wiring.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
From the pictures, it looks like the consumer unit was a newer replacement to older wiring.

Some new Legrand parts are still available - though can only find up to a 63A RCD immediately available, which might not be a suitable replacement depending on circumstances.

The pictures of light switch wiring/back boxes does look like unearthed cable though, so a rewire of that circuit is going to be needed at some point, even if it was possible to theoretically comply in the short term with legal requirements by ensuring every fitting/switch is a type that doesn't require earth. (Assuming the RCD issue is fixed regardless)

The bathroom light fitting will be an easy fix with a straight swap replacement LED surface fitting, so should be no big issues there.

You may be able to find a cheaper price with some shopping around (smaller firm that isn't vat registered), but you may have to factor in a new EICR on top, or be sure that you have suitable written confirmation that the C2s on your report are either resolved, or not actually issues.

If a replacement CU is being quoted for, then I would suggest type A RCBOs with SPD, and you will probably be covered for many years to come with no more surprises at future EICRs.

RS Components appear to stock Legrand RCDs and include an 80A one in their range. A replacement CU with Type A RCBOs for each circuit would be better long term solution.

Reply to Landlord - EICR 'unsatisfactory' in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock