Discuss LED Christmas lights - Running off a Battery in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi - Please can you help me with the following:

In taking my Christmas tree to the next level I have purchased a mains powered tailor’s dummy turntable to rotate my tree. I currently have 3 sets of LED lights which, with their adaptor/low voltage reducing transformers, I would normally plug them into an extension lead via a mains socket. However, this will not be practical as the wires will end up twisting around the tree. So I am now considering fixing the extension block on to the turntable and running this via an appropriate sized battery (also fixed to the turntable)

Please can you therefore advise me on what type of (hopefully rechargeable) battery I would need (e.g. motorcycle battery) and how I could wire the extension lead into it.

Many thanks

Paul

Welcome to the forum mate.
Can you give us more info on the xmas lights.
What voltage are they?
How much current do they draw?

Thanks for your quick response.

I will need to get up in the loft (when I get home) to find out. Being an electro simpleton, I naively thought that I could just replace the mains for a battery

I currently have 3 sets of LED lights which, with their adaptor/low voltage reducing transformers

I took it from the above, that the lights would be less than mains voltage.
If they are mains voltage you might be better getting yourself some new sets that are not.

Or, just get some battery powered Christmas tree lights...

or call it all humbug and get off for 2 weeks in a sunny climate.

Sorry, further evidence of my lack of electrical nous. ☹️

Although plugged into the mains, the led lights sets (a total of 1200 lights) have transformers / reducers that from memory reduces the voltage down to 4 to 6 volts.

I was wondering if I got something the size of a motorcycle battery, whether I could connect the plug extension into it to draw the power from (as I would normally with the extension lead plugged into the mains socket

Although plugged into the mains, the led lights sets (a total of 1200 lights) have transformers / reducers that from memory reduces the voltage down to 4 to 6 volts.

I was wondering if I got something the size of a motorcycle battery, whether I could connect the plug extension into it to draw the power from (as I would normally with the extension lead plugged into the mains socket

A motorcycle and car battery is 12V, as far as I know.
You would have to alter the xmas tree lights as well. Bypassing the power supply, fixing a fuse to the lights and then finding a battery that is suitable in voltage and size.
We would still need to know how much current the light will take.

If you post a picture of the text on the power supplies (transformers) that will help make suggestions for a battery alternative.

Reply to LED Christmas lights - Running off a Battery in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net