Discuss LED tape strips. Recommendations? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Ive got a customer asking me about an LED strip around the perimeter of a bedroom. There is an existing coving which will be removed, and a new one fitted a little lower, with the LED tape hidden above the coving.
She has mentioned that there is going to be a mural painted onto the ceiling and would like it lit by the LED's.

Does anyone know a good LED strip. Easy to install, corner connections etc.
All I've worked on so far is the sticky backed flexible tape that can be fiddly to get straight.
Roughly 18m total length. Can this be done with only one driver, and are they available as dimmable... in case the customer asks

What would be the best way to mount the tape? On the wall, projecting horizontally into the room, and lighting up the majority of the mural, but maybe visible or on the top of the coving, shining straight up and only lighting the edge of the ceiling?

To avoid any unwanted shadows/lines the led strip will need to be mounted at between 45 & 60 degrees to skim across the top of the coving, allowing the light to feather off naturally into the ceiling.
Simply mount some angled batten along the wall behind the coving, apply silver sticky back tape to the batten(vent pipe tape). This has 2 uses; a very good clean surface for the tape to be stuck too and also very important it will act as a heat sink..
You will need to go for 24 volt led strips, installed in 9m lengths..
Best way to dim them would be via Dali or 0-10v..

Agree. I have worked with led tape a lot. The quality can vary dramatically. I have now settled on Aurora lighting as it is good quality and consistent. I use there aluminium profile to mount the tape into and fit an opal diffuser to it, they do a 45 deg version. There drivers are also very good.

LEDLine™ PRO Single Colour Flexible Strip - https://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-ST224

Corner Profile - https://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-CH104

90W IP67 1-10V Dimmable24V Constant Voltage Driver - https://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/AU-LEDD9024

There is also a CRI90 version if colour rendering is crucial.

What can I say? My customer likes murals.

She had one on her living room wall above the fireplace, but clever builder used polythene with masking tape to “protect” it when he was doing some work.
Took the tape off, and the edge of the mural came with it.

The property is a bungalow, so drivers will be in attic space above.
I would have like just one driver, so the whole strip turns on together. I’ve seen short tapes in kitchens where there is a fraction of a second between different drivers on the same switch.

I've done a couple of installs, but had the tapes premade cut to length, last one was a kitchen. Had one driver/power supply per switch. Can't remember supplier, but they were having compatibility issues with their app (iPhone etc), so just used a remote. That was back in March 2018. I've been using Phillips Hue lamps in my house at the mo', using some of their outdoor tape in my garden, and still few issues with apps & 'scene' settings.

It is a bit of a minefield when it comes to LED strip suppliers. Do check the reviews (the genuine ones).
In terms of installation, you could use an LED strip inside an LED profile so that the strip stick well into place and is straight lines. I would always avoid connectors as they can be fiddly and unreliable (can stop working if not properly connected). Get the supplier to make the strips to length for you to save the hassle of soldering / cutting on site.
You can wire all strips back to one mains dimmable power supply / or remote / RF wall controller.
Be sure that you wire the strips in parallel, usually no more than 5m wired in series so usually you would take longer leads back to the power supply in a central point.
However you install the strips be 100% sure that you cannot see the LED light source direct, you should be aiming to get the glow effct without seeing the LED's in anyway, it looks 1000x more professional.
I would recommend uses a higher wattage LED strip with the strip facing upwards, you will get a lot of 'light spill' into the room which would still light up the ceiling.

Now there are a lot of different companies on the Internet that are engaged in the production of LED tapes, and all have extra functionality. Recently, I bought a few LED Strips from this site for my garage ukled.co.uk. It seemed to me that they were not so expensive, but at the same time they shine brightly and are made of high quality, which is very important to me! And now I, along with my musical group, rehearse almost every day in my garage, where there is a stunning light. We even want to shoot a clip, but at the same time use green and red lights in the room itself. In short, I hope my reply will help someone, especially those who are now thinking about whether to buy this thing or not.

Reply to LED tape strips. Recommendations? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock