Discuss low insulation resistance reading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you use the old method to calculate minimum insulation resistance of 1/10000[SUP]th[/SUP] FLC maximum leakage current you get 35.3KΏ.

But from the L→E and N→E readings you have something in circuit. Look again! Or are you fishing for a re-wire? If you are then it’s your reputation on the line.

If it is wired in T&E with readings like that I would doubt it is degrading cable more likely a load you haven't found, further testing required.

Words fail me. May as well have said I have no clue what I'm doing, please someone bail my sorry butt out before my client tumbles to the fact he/she hired someone woefully inadequate.

I'm speechless too trev. From the number of posts we are getting regarding fault-finding lately, it appears that very few "electricians" have had any training in this area at all.

Thanks to the people who's comments helped, it was a smoke detector that caused the reading and now all tests ok.

As for the people who just took the ****. I've only be doing electrics for 2 years and my boss left me on a job, I wanted to sort it out without him that's why I came to here for advice.

You carried out IR testing with vulnerable equipment still connected, at risk of rendering vital fire detection equipment useless and wonder why people are taking the ****?
Two years and you don't know how to carry out insulation resistance testing properly?

I hope you are going to replace the smoke detector you've given a 500 volt shock to, who knows what damage you could have done to it.

Apprentices and trainees please note.
Another demonstration of why the soft test is a good thing to do. As if another demonstration was necessary.

I hope you are going to replace the smoke detector you've given a 500 volt shock to, who knows what damage you could have done to it.[/QUOTE]
I tested at 250 first, and as it wasn't good I didn't do the 500.

Thanks to the people who's comments helped, it was a smoke detector that caused the reading and now all tests ok.

As for the people who just took the ****. I've only be doing electrics for 2 years and my boss left me on a job, I wanted to sort it out without him that's why I came to here for advice.

The whole point of completing an apprenticeship is to work with whoever's in charge of your training (sounds like your boss), and if you have problems or don't understand something then go to them for help and advice. It's how you learn, and they understand your knowledge and limitations.
As for people taking the ****, that's all part of the learning process too. Nobody here owes any poster anything. It's all free, so take out of it what you want.

WTH is wrong with people lately? Complaining about **** taking, on a site there are rules-
Rule 1 The amount of **** taking is directly proportional to the size of the cock up
Rule 2 The more someone complains about the **** taking the worse it gets.
Rule 3 If someone takes a huff the rest of the lads are duty bound to make baby noises at the huffer.
This forum is no different, just because we might make donkey noises and laugh it doesn't automatically mean we don't like you.

I tested at 250 first, and as it wasn't good I didn't do the 500.

Ok, but your original post said you had tested insulation resistance and got a value which was below that required, as there is only a required value for tests at 500V everyone assumed you meant that you had tested at 500V. If you had said you had done a soft test at 250V answers may have been a little different.
This is a technical trade you need to learn to be technically correct and accurate when describing things or else you make yourself look like a fool.

Trev,
you missed the rule about general respect and points being awarded to the person who can cause the biggest huff from someone once they have been found to be a good target for the game.
Double points if they can be persuaded to throw their tools around!

Reply to low insulation resistance reading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net