Discuss Low insulation reading at 500V in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
Slightly strange one this, replaced a few socket fronts in a dining room today, all wiring original but new plasterboard on a studded wall. Its a ring final circuit which does the rest of the house apart from the kitchen.

R1 and R2 all ok etc, loop test fine but doing the insulation resistance shows nearly a dead short L-E and N-E but if you reduce the test voltage to 250V its showing about 100 meg. The upstairs rooms are absolutely full of junk and furniture and a few sockets look to be DIY fitted, extension cables under carpets, that sort of thing so no way of finding the fault without emptying the room and the company is only getting paid to put the sockets back the way they were.

Firstly what do people do when they come across stuff like this, if you insist on the house being emptied the insurance company will just use another firm that isn't as picky and the insurance money the contractor gets is good enough to buy him a new electric Porsche so that is definitely not going to happen, and the guy with the Porsche gives us loads and loads of excellent work so we aren't going to be awkward either.

Secondly I didn't think of this until I'd left, is it possible the fault is caused by a surge protection extension lead plugged in somewhere, I've had it in the past where it mimics a short to earth but once unplugged the readings are fine. If there was a real fault there is would show up on the 230V setting as well wouldn't it.

I occasionally come across a fault that shows at 500V but not at 250V. Rare, but not unheard of. Last time was due a cable that had been slightly nicked by a socket screw.

If it was a surge protection extension lead, I would expect a steady reading of ~0.4 Mohms at 500V, give or take.

What would I do? As long as I was sure that it's not a fault that I had caused, I would inform the person ordering the work in writing that there is an existing fault that needs further investigation.

I occasionally come across a fault that shows at 500V but not at 250V. Rare, but not unheard of. Last time was due a cable that had been slightly nicked by a socket screw.

If it was a surge protection extension lead, I would expect a steady reading of ~0.4 Mohms at 500V, give or take.

What would I do? As long as I was sure that it's not a fault that I had caused, I would inform the person ordering the work in writing that there is an existing fault that needs further investigation.
Yea it wasn't a dead short and was more than 20k on the low ohm setting, cant remember the reading but it was somewhere around what I've seen before with those surge protection leads, I just didn't put two and two together before I left. Its just that I have never tried meggering a surge lead with 250V before to see what it reads so was a bit confused that it passed with the 250V setting. The only reason it was on the 250 setting was I tried it across the L&N to see if anything was still plugged in but not frying a PC or something and forgetting to turn it back to 500.

Seeing < 1M on 500V but > 10M on 250V is the classic result of SPD. It could be something else of course, but seeing much the same on both L-E and N-E (if L-N largely open) really points to that.

It is probably a protected 13A block plugged in somewhere for IT stuff or TV, but occasionally you see it built in to equipment like a boiler, etc.

Reply to Low insulation reading at 500V in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net