Discuss Low voltage lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Anthonyrthomasuk

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I was thinking of fitting a transformer near the consumer unit and supplying all the downstairs lighting circuit with 12v and changing all the fittings. Has anyone done this and is there any likely problems.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
G

Guest123

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey.

Can I ask why you would want to do that???

A

Anthonyrthomasuk

wouldnt it save on lots of smaller transformers

G

Guest123

I got to be honest I dont think you can get a 12V transformer with a big enough VA rating to do an entire circuit.

I've never seen one. Do you have one in mind??

S

Spudnik

Also the CSA of the outgoing 12V cable would need to be huge!

A

Anthonyrthomasuk

When you talk about a circuit my lighting downstairs consists of 1 light living room, landing light and 6 spotlights in kitchen. they all low energy and i would prefer better light without using more power as they are used the most and sometimes can be on all day

E

electro

Hi

The transformer will be larger than the normal ones for lighting and you will suffer from very high VD%. Go for local transformers and low energy lighting or if you are a techy go for LED lighting.
Regards

M

maddfridge

I was thinking of fitting a transformer near the consumer unit and supplying all the downstairs lighting circuit with 12v and changing all the fittings. Has anyone done this and is there any likely problems.
hi there

12 volt lighting are you considering solar panels and wind turbine thingys as well ???

This is the way ahead but the technology is still not up there yet for a sustainable

i have fitted 300va transformers for banks and have used 1.5mm twin and earth but must admit runs were not more than a couple of meters at the most and boy do they run hot :eek::eek::eek:

just wondered about volt drop never considered that before for this application???

cheers

E

electro

Hi maddfridge

Its sounds like you installed a bit of heating as well.

Regards

A

Anthonyrthomasuk

looks like a non runner, what size do you think would need to used for an average sized house?

E

electro

Hi

A rough calc for 10 * 50w spots @12v run approx 30m upstairs lighting comes out around 4mm, but soon steps up to 6mm if you add anymore length. This is a rough guide and does not reflect your installation. hope this helps.

Regards

A

Anthonyrthomasuk

I suppose if you were doing a rewire it could be considered since we are being encouraged to switch to low voltage. I would probably do that in my own home. Thanks Tony

E

electro

Hi

we are being encouraged to switch to low wattage not low voltage..

Regards

J

johnnyb

Anthony, obviously you don,t know the basics, jasons already told you , you cannot put a transformer near the mains and run all the lighting from it, the csa of the cables would be huge. Anthony the reason is lower the volts, higher the amps and thats what protects the cable you use breaker size etc. sounds like, to me you are about to burn your bloomin house down mate, check your insurance policy before you do the work or in my view get some one in that knows what they are doin mate.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Low voltage lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom