Discuss Main Bonding for incoming plastic pipe in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 112675

Hello All

Noticed the existing bonding for the cold water supply is only 4mm. The supply pipe out of the ground is clearly a plastic pipe. It joins a brass stopcock under the kitchen sink cabinet and the rest of the plumbing in the house is in copper. I'm worried I need 10mm bonding and will have to find a route for the cable.

For example, this company below says
" If the incoming pipes are made of plastic, but the pipes within the electrical installation are made of metal, the main bonding must be carried out. "

Are they right and will my forthcoming EICR fail because of it ?

Appreciate your comments on that website - I thought the same.

I guess a plastic pipe isn't conductive even though this one is extraneous. I didn't know whether or not it needs main bonding and I still don't know. It might have been nice to know whether or not I'm likely to need any additional cable running from the vicinity of the CU to the extraneous insulating part before the kitchen is finished and the EICR is done.

Appreciate your comments on that website - I thought the same.

I guess a plastic pipe isn't conductive even though this one is extraneous. I didn't know whether or not it needs main bonding and I still don't know. It might have been nice to know whether or not I'm likely to need any additional cable running from the vicinity of the CU to the extraneous insulating part before the kitchen is finished and the EICR is done.
Anyone else have a view? I don't see why you would need to test this aspect as the pipe as it enters the property is clearly plastic and not an extraneous conductive part? It has existing 4mm bonding back to the met but does it need upgrading (or even removing?)

Anyone else have a view? I don't see why you would need to test this aspect as the pipe as it enters the property is clearly plastic and not an extraneous conductive part? It has existing 4mm bonding back to the met but does it need upgrading (or even removing?)
Can nobody give me the answer because everyone has a different opinion on it? Maybe its just a boring subject ?!

JW (John Ward ) from youtube seems to imply its not necessary but that doesn't help me if I get an inspect and test and the guy I've given several hundred pounds to already says it needs a 10mm bonding? Maybe I could just ask whoever I'm planning to use (hopefully from this forum) whether they would class it as c2 before they take the job and start?

I gave you an answer. Whoever does your EICR will test if it’s extraneous
[automerge]1601493913[/automerge]
If it’s plastic coming in then it will likely not need bonding, but may if the tests indicate it does.

Hi - clearly your incoming water supply does not require bonding as it’s plastic. However we can’t say if the other metal pipework requires bonding without testing it, sorry.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Main Bonding for incoming plastic pipe in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net