Discuss Messed up but can it still be done in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

S&HB

Hi I have just done first fix wiring in a extension and wanted to put in a two way lighting circuit, the walls have now been plastered and I have noticed that I have used an old 2c + bare earth cable between the two switches :oops:. can 2 way switching still be done.
I was thinking about using the earth core as a strap wire sleeved brown both ends and fitting a 6A RCBO
as protection....

Thanks
Steve

Welcome to the forum S&HB :)

Your profile doesn't show any electrical qualifications or experience and only shows an ONC in Engineering which could be one of several areas... that said and the level of question you are asking then the thread may be relocated to DIY section when admin is next on line, this will not effect any posts already made.

Using the bare earth in a standard twin and earth to be utilised as a live conductor is a definate no no, not sure which 2 way wiring method you were attempting here but the standard method is live to switch A, twin strappers between and a switch/live from switch B to light(s).

What wiring method have you done?

Last edited:
hi,its not allowed although seen it a few times,plus if you did use it how would you earth the back boxes if metal and any future metallic switches ect

Hi I have just done first fix wiring in a extension and wanted to put in a two way lighting circuit, the walls have now been plastered and I have noticed that I have used an old 2c + bare earth cable between the two switches :oops:. can 2 way switching still be done.
I was thinking about using the earth core as a strap wire sleeved brown both ends and fitting a 6A RCBO
as protection....

Thanks
Steve

You might want to rethink that.!!!

No you can not use the earth as a live even if you sleeve it , mind you I have come across it a though times in installations best fix it take a switch wire from the second switch if possible if its a white plastic conservatory you might be able to get away with mini trunking depends on what your customer wants,

as protection....

Thanks
Steve

So your profile says your an engineer with an ONC. Hmmmmm

as protection....

Thanks
Steve

NO DO NOT use the cpc as a live conductor, totally against BS 7671 as well as being a dangerous installation method, saying that I have seen it done by unscrupulous Electricians, and I use the term Electrician with tongue in cheek, no self respecting sparks would do that, my advice for what it.'s worth would be to check your wiring in future before any wall finishing have been installed.

You could always install wireless switches instead.

as protection....

Thanks
Steve

I hope you have public indemnity insurance.

Do not go cowboying because you've designed the install incorrectly. Front up, explain the error, destroy the plaster, and re-wire it properly.

Then, let it be a lesson for future works. Not trying to sound aggressive with you here, just saying it how it is mate.

Mark.

Sell your customer one of these no need for the 2 way switch then

UK Standard,Livolo White Crystal Glass Panel,Wireless Remote Home Light, 2Gang 1Way Switch,110-250VAC 2015 ? ÂŁ25.83

Edit Sorry SJD you beat me to it

Sorry Flanders buddy, but i don't agree with you here. He can't go selling his customers new products, that they didn't need (originally) or want because he's cocked up on the design process.

The customer has every right to take further action on him.

I hope you have public indemnity insurance.

Do not go cowboying because you've designed the install incorrectly. Front up, explain the error, destroy the plaster, and re-wire it properly.

Then, let it be a lesson for future works. Not trying to sound aggressive with you here, just saying it how it is mate.

Mark.

Who says he's a sparky? Who gave him DIY status?

EDIT: And he;s been on 1 hour ago and hasn't had the decency to update the thread with any responses....:32:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Flanders buddy, but i don't agree with you here. He can't go selling his customers new products, that they didn't need (originally) or want because he's cocked up on the design process.

it's the OP's cock-up. fit the wireless switch at no cost to customer, after admitting he screwed up.

it's the OP's cock-up. fit the wireless switch at no cost to customer, after admitting he screwed up.

That's what i mean tel, its the OP's cock up ... i for one wouldn't want fancy dance wireless switches with remotes that would get lost (i literally lose the TV remote in my gaff on average every 10minutes lol)

The OP fk'd up with the design, he needs to install it properly then either have his indemnity insurance pay for the plasterer to come back and re-do what he's done, or front the bill himself.

it was ment in jest trying to make light of the situation should of used a emoticon :19:

multicutter with a diamond blade, you can do a tidy chase in plaster with that, put a proper cable in, fill with easifill, next day sand it down, job done.

I've been asked by a home owner to use the CPC once to get a switched live to the extractor fan in the bathroom, I flatly refused.

It depends what other cables you have at the switches, if you have two core cable between the switches then can you not use two wire switching if you can get a line supply to one switch (should be already there) and divert the switched line to the other switch (maybe via the cables in the ceiling), at the most it would mean only having to rewire one switch.

Reply to Messed up but can it still be done in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net