Discuss Metalclad DB, Single Phase with 12 useable ways - No RCD's required in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Micklane

I'm trying to source a suitable metalclad DB with a metal door/flap, and with an IP rating as high as is available off the shelf. This to be located in a Chinese takeaway that has a high pollution of the atmosphere, caused by cooking oil/fat. It may be necessary to fit a standard metalclad DB inside a weatherproof enclosure, but I want to avoid this if possible.

If it's an environment with high levels of pollution maybe look at pressurizing the enclosure with clean fresh air. Kinda like a domestic bathroom extract system but configured in reverse.

I'm trying to source a suitable metalclad DB with a metal door/flap, and with an IP rating as high as is available off the shelf. This to be located in a Chinese takeaway that has a high pollution of the atmosphere, caused by cooking oil/fat. It may be necessary to fit a standard metalclad DB inside a weatherproof enclosure, but I want to avoid this if possible.

Sounds to me like, this is one Chinese takeaway outlet to avoid!! And one that should be brought to the attention of the local councils inspectorate!!

Sounds like there is a total lack of cooking area hood extraction, either that or the hoods grease filters are completely blocked!!
Whatever the problem is in this takeaway, it's not a problem that an electrician should even be trying to defeat or get over!!!....

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever the problem is in this takeaway, it's not a problem that an electrician should even be trying to defeat or get over!!!....
Knowing the conditions for the lack of maintenance or absence of effective fume extraction hoods etc., it would be foolish to ignore this when selecting equipment, I'm sure that your registration organisation, and the regulations would agree. :smile:

Knowing the conditions for the lack of maintenance or absence of effective fume extraction hoods etc., it would be foolish to ignore this when selecting equipment, I'm sure that your registration organisation, and the regulations would agree. :smile:

Yes but as the old sayign goes prevention is better than cure.

First of all, let me assure you the very last people i would take any notice of, is a parasitic scheme provider, if i was indeed registered with one, which i'm most certainly NOT!!

Why would you even contemplate protecting against an environment, that is in itself, breaking H&S regulations?? That's just all round total nonsense!! Is there even an IP rating for airborne oil and grease, ...none that i know of.

First of all, let me assure you the very last people i would take any notice of, is a parasitic scheme provider, if i was indeed registered with one, which i'm most certainly NOT!!

Why would you even contemplate protecting against an environment, that is in itself, breaking H&S regulations?? That's just all round total nonsense!! Is there even an IP rating for airborne oil and grease, ...none that i know of.
Au contraire, what is nonsense is replacing like for like when there is problem with the environment, which is not under my control!:smile: IP 65 is available and will be suitable. :smile:

Now then ladies ! Build a little cupboard for the c/u or go round every week and demand the tiddlywinks get there marrygolds on and scrub the bitch!

Far from it, but you trying to negate a clearly illegal H&S environmental problem surely does!! lol!!

So what are you going to do then, replace all the sockets and switches with IP65 accessories too, or do you consider the existing standard accessories to be fine in such conditions as you have described??

Far from it, but you trying to negate a clearly illegal H&S environmental problem surely does!! lol!!
So what are you going to do then, replace all the sockets and switches with IP65 accessories too, or do you consider the existing standard accessories to be fine in such conditions as you have described??
Not that I wish to justify my reasoning to the unreasonable, but for the consideration and edification of others :wink_smile:, A sample has been carried out on the existing accessories during an E.I.C.R. by myself, as an approved contractor with the NICEIC :wink_smile:, these were found to be acceptable. It would be unprofessional of me to ignore the existing environmental conditions when replacing equipment .......... when I have no control of the maintenance, nor the design of other equipment in the existing premises! :wink_smile: If a customer chooses not to uprate an installation, that is acceptable in my view but then the customer carries the risk ........... not my professional indemnity! In addition to contamination, this subject fuse board is one which has asbestos arc quench pads, and is consequently .......... Code 2! :wink_smile: :wink_smile:

Not that I wish to justify my reasoning to the unreasonable, but for the consideration and edification of others :wink_smile:, A sample has been carried out on the existing accessories during an E.I.C.R. by myself, as an approved contractor with the NICEIC :wink_smile:, these were found to be acceptable. It would be unprofessional of me to ignore the existing environmental conditions when replacing equipment .......... when I have no control of the maintenance, nor the design of other equipment in the existing premises! :wink_smile: If a customer chooses not to uprate an installation, that is acceptable in my view but then the customer carries the risk ........... not my professional indemnity! In addition to contamination, this subject fuse board is one which has asbestos arc quench pads, and is consequently .......... Code 2! :wink_smile: :wink_smile:

Haha, and exactly what weight does being an ''Approved Contractor'' with the NICEIC carry these day's?? ...Zilch!!
Any Tom Dick or Harry can get that status now, just by paying the upgraded fee!!

Show me the Regulation that states that an old BS 3036 fuse board demands a code 2?? Your making this up as you go, ...along with creating your own code definitions my friend!! What has that got to do with this food outlets unlawful environmental conditions anyway?? If you consider that the CU needs/requires IP65 protection due to the amount of airborne oil and grease contamination, then it goes without saying that all the electrical wall accessories operating in the same environment, will also require the same protection....Yes??

As i stated before, you don't try and circumvent a health hazard that shouldn't be there in the first place, and it has nothing to do with your professional indemnity insurance. You can wink all you like, it ain't gonna change the fact that this takeaway outlet, needs a H&S inspection if what you're saying is that bad...

Show me the Regulation that states that an old BS 3036 fuse board demands a code 2?? Your making this up as you go, ...along with creating your own code definitions my friend!!
Watch the spelling now. Let's hope someone else can help you out, you sure do need it! :devil:

Reply to Metalclad DB, Single Phase with 12 useable ways - No RCD's required in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock