Discuss Meter tail insulation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had an eicr done recently, the electrician gave a C2 for the meter tails having their outer insulation stripped back too far.

Can I take a piece of the grey insulation off a spare tail and cut and glue it onto the missing piece to clear the C2? Much easier than having to strip back as it's at the meter.

Attachments

• 20211223_141700.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 29
Inform your electricity supplier that your electrician has identified a dangerous fault with your electric meter.

they should fix it free in my opinion.

Looking at picture, Call/inform DNO they will send someone or authorise electrician to fix it , (DNO will reseal the cut out ) if its going to isolation switch ....( looks like it is )

Is it exposed to touch or is it in a cabinet only accessible by use of a tool / key?

I have seen it argued that if it's the latter then it's a C3.

I wouldn't be busting a gut to fix it either but it should be seen to at some point.

C2 by definition is POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS.

if that is what the electrician has reported then if you are renting it out then you have 28 days to get it fixed.
by deferring the problem to the network operator as they are authorised to re terminate to the meter, you will have a paper trail or show that the C2 fault has been repaired.

if you stick some cover over it with glue, you leave yourself wide open for any issues with it. E.g. if the terminals are loose and the cable has pulled out then there could be problems with heat/ arcing .

I dont realy see a problem with it. When I was an instalation inspector for the Electricity Board in the early 80s that is the way we were told to do it. Strip the outer insulation back by 12mm to show the inner colour.

I dont realy see a problem with it. When I was an instalation inspector for the Electricity Board in the early 80s that is the way we were told to do it. Strip the outer insulation back by 12mm to show the inner colour.
Yeah... but they've had 32 mm stripped back !

The meter tails require to have two layers of protection, having so much exposed of the basic installation is an issue for the EICR. If they were behind a barrier or in trunking that would count as additional protection but they aren't.
The exposed parts are between the Isolator and the Henley, I was slightly confused as both sides of the isolator had a seal, however the seal on the output can be removed, the isolator switched off and the tails retrimmed and put back in so that will solve the issue. From the isolator switch onwards in owners equipment so no issue to do it.
Personally I wouldn't have coded it as a C2, the last two EICR made no mention of it or had an issue, but if I want the C2's cleared then I either have to sort it or get someone else who isn't a thorough to redo the EICR

should have only been a C3 IMO. if on the otgoing side of the isolator, then easy fix. if on the meter side, then it's probably been done by a meter monkey, so get your supplier to sort it.

Just re instate the sheath as you suggested or wind some ID tape over it to form a new sheath
The insulation is intact, the sheath really not much of a issue

Reply to Meter tail insulation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net