Discuss Most obvious fault here in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A 3 legged ring. Apart from the difficulties in testing it, what danger might there be in putting all 3 legs on the same 32A breaker?
[automerge]1595382036[/automerge]

Which code do you give for a battery only smoke alarm a) before and b) after you've knocked it off the ceiling with your Coventry screwdriver? And which regulation do you reference to justify said coding and remedial action?
A 3 legged ring. Apart from the difficulties in testing it, what danger might there be in putting all 3 legs on the same 32A breaker?

Which code do you give for a battery only smoke alarm a) before and b) after you've knocked it off the ceiling with your Coventry screwdriver? And which regulation do you reference to justify said coding and remedial action?
i don’t give it any code as I said it does not constitute an unsatisfactory or satisfactory report as it’s not deemed relevant in our EICR’s I did just say this. I don’t use a Coventry screwdriver I use a valleys one it’s better. ?
[automerge]1595382669[/automerge]
difficulties

Also with regards to your 3 legged ring it’s clearly not a ring is it with no continuity. You can spur off at consumer unit though if you wish but not if the 32A ring final is not actually a ring main and does not provide continuity. Any break in the ring is a C2 code Fail

Last edited:
i don’t give it any code as I said it does not constitute an unsatisfactory or satisfactory report as it’s not deemed relevant in our EICR’s I did just say this. I don’t use a Coventry screwdriver I use a valleys one it’s better. ?
You're right, you did say that, but like most englishmen I struggle with the Welsh accent. The valley SD muct be pretty good if better than a Covvie one, you can get in anywhere with those things

Also with regards to your 3 legged ring it’s clearly not a ring is it with no continuity. You can spur off at consumer unit though if you wish but not if the 32A ring final is not actually a ring main and does not provide continuity. Any break in the ring is a C2 code Fail
There's no break in it, it just has a 3rd leg going back to the CU, unless I've misunderstood littlespark's post
[automerge]1595383178[/automerge]
Haha good man agreed ?
It's worse when we're confronted with a written Welsh word. We don't get taught at school how to deal with these situations, so we break into a sweat and get anxiety

There's no break in it, it just has a 3rd leg going back to the CU, unless I've misunderstood littlespark's post
You might be right if that’s the case then that’s fine he has a 3rd leg which is only a spur. Aslong as the load is not overloading the circuit then that’s fine you’re allowed to spur off at consumer. I thought he said he found out they were radials easy to solve though so no dramas on that one
[automerge]1595384649[/automerge]
[automerge]1595383178[/automerge]

It's worse when we're confronted with a written Welsh word. We don't get taught at school how to deal with these situations, so we break into a sweat and get anxiety
?

Last edited:
Aicos are the way forward every year I do an expert installer course with Aico which I’m sure most of you do. This is another topic which sparkys on here will disagree with me because smoke alarms don’t constitute an unsatisfactory report in an EICR because they are not “relevant” in our reports but I disagree if I see a battery only smoke alarm (fire angel) I get my hammer out and smash it off the ceiling. Every property should have a mains wired optical smoke alarm (hallway, landing) heat alarm kitchen interlinked with 10 year lithium back up battery. All my Scottish and Irish friends should know this as their laws are more robust compared to us welsh and English although we will soon be following you

I take it you supply and fit a replacement for free?

Aicos are the way forward every year I do an expert installer course with Aico which I’m sure most of you do. This is another topic which sparkys on here will disagree with me because smoke alarms don’t constitute an unsatisfactory report in an EICR because they are not “relevant” in our reports but I disagree if I see a battery only smoke alarm (fire angel) I get my hammer out and smash it off the ceiling. Every property should have a mains wired optical smoke alarm (hallway, landing) heat alarm kitchen interlinked with 10 year lithium back up battery. All my Scottish and Irish friends should know this as their laws are more robust compared to us welsh and English although we will soon be following you

I'd absolutely agree that every home should have interlinked smoke alarms, but I'm not sure I'd condone smashing battery powered alarms off a ceiling.

What happens in a private residence where the owner either delines this work or wishes to defer it due to cost constraints? While I'd share your enthusiasm for safer homes, breaking an old alarm could leave you in a situation where the property is less safe after your visit than it was before.

I suspect your comment was tongue in cheek and you only smash those old alarms when they're going to be replaced as part of your work...

You remove the old battery smoke alarm from the ceiling by unscrewing it. Then take it, whole, to your nearest recycling centre where it will be disposed of properly.

A hammer smashed alarm will end up in the general rubbish ?♻
Of course it was tongue in cheek I don’t really get my hammer out I carry out correct procedure as you’ve stated as they are not meant to be disposed in general waste ?

Of course it was tongue in cheek I don’t really get my hammer out I carry out correct procedure as you’ve stated as they are not meant to be disposed in general waste ?
Suffolk spark there he is thats the landlord I cudn remember he just disliked another post of mine ??
[automerge]1595800526[/automerge]
Suffolk spark there he is thats the landlord I cudn remember he just disliked another post of mine ??
Let me do an EICR on your properties and see how many I save For you
[automerge]1595800902[/automerge]
[automerge]1595800526[/automerge]

Let me do an EICR on your properties and see how many I save For you
I find it funny how so many ppl say I’m too harsh but yet the first thing most properties fail on is undersized meter tails I.e service head fuse being 80a or 100a and tail size 16mm yet many sparks think this is satisfactory.

Last edited:
I find it funny how so many ppl say I’m too harsh but yet the first thing most properties fail on is undersized meter tails I.e service head fuse being 80a or 100a and tail size 16mm yet many sparks think this is satisfactory.

only time in 50 years in the trade in 1 shape or another have i seen 16mm tails overheat, is once, and that was a cannabis farm where not only the meter but the cut-out had been bypassed.

only time in 50 years in the trade in 1 shape or another have i seen 16mm tails overheat, is once, and that was a cannabis farm where not only the meter but the cut-out had been bypassed.
? yea I bet It went up in smoke. Yea I know what you mean with “it’s been fine for the past 50 years” unfortunately 50 years ago the regulations were completely different right now 16mm tails should not be covered with 80A or 100A fuses that’s the regulations. I do agree with certain things are over the top and highly unlikely to cause harm
[automerge]1595970621[/automerge]

I also have great amount of respect for senior sparks like yourself ?

Last edited:
If 16mm tails have been in use by the same occupants for 50 years without showing distress, and there hasn't been any recent drastic change such as a new electric shower added or teenage grandchildren moving in, it seems a bit harsh to give anything worse than C3.

Reply to Most obvious fault here in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net