Discuss Most reliable pen tester??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find a decent pen tester, they are proving to be very unreliable. For example when I test a cable it will show live on my pen tester but infact it is dead
Could someone please recommend a reliable pen tester please!!!!

i use one of these. set you back about 20 quid. some bloke's will tell you not to get one, but i wouldn't be without mine.

FLU5161002B_0.jpg

I wouldn't be without a test pen. It's about understanding its uses and having a trust relationship with it lol.

Flukes are great, I'm using a CK at the moment as the flukes in a false ceiling somewhere.

Would recommend it although its quite sensitive so if your poking in a bunch you have to be careful as if picks up quite quickly

I wouldn't be without a test pen. It's about understanding its uses and having a trust relationship with it lol.

Flukes are great, I'm using a CK at the moment as the flukes in a false ceiling somewhere.

Would recommend it although its quite sensitive so if your poking in a bunch you have to be careful as if picks up quite quickly
thats were the ldv 2 comes into its own,in a bunch it turns blue with the induced and only goes red when you're right up against the live wire.

Personally wouldn't have one near me. I asked my american friend one day to fetch me the approved voltage indicator that we had been issued, and when he returned with the 'Fluke magic wand' I bounced it of his head!
IMO these things should not be relied upon in any shape or form.

. For example when I test a cable it will show live on my pen tester but infact it is dead
!

Thats because you have dropped it or its got crushed in your tool box.It is knackered throw it away.I have had loads over the years and i reckon the more expensive ones are always better.Cheap ones like Kewtek are a waste of time and money.I will show every single cable in a bunch is live if in fact only one of them is.And has been said already it is only an indicator dont trust your life to it use a proper test probe

One of the reasons that gs38 came about is people relying on other methods of testingband getting it wrong, we all know the way we should testd . I have a fluke as the kids purchased it for me, never used it, just assume they are all live until you prove otherwise and you may live to a ripe old age

Ben

fluke LDV2 sounds amazing!!! Gonna get one right now

I personally wouldn't recommend them, I had the first model with the switch at the end of the tester and the switch broke and had to be held down condstantly, wasn't bothered when I lost that one, then i had the newer model the shorter one, they both had the same problem of being over sensitive touch it to a wall with no power in it and it will turn blue then with cables bunched together it goes mental,

I would recommend the one that someone put a picture up of, bombproof and reliable with accurate indication

I mainly use mine on inspection and testing for counting up points on a circuit and I wouldn't be without one

ATB

Personally wouldn't have one near me. I asked my american friend one day to fetch me the approved voltage indicator that we had been issued, and when he returned with the 'Fluke magic wand' I bounced it of his head!
IMO these things should not be relied upon in any shape or form.

I'm with Timbo on this one. I don't own one, never have done, and don't intend to start now.

Everyone says they would never use one as part of a safe isolation procedure, but as long as you have one in your possession, there is always the possibility it might get used in such a manner.

Just like that other disaster waiting to happen, the 'neon screwdriver', it should be consigned to the bin. Or if you can't bring yourself to do that, take the batteries out and use it to stir tea.

I got a free pen tester with my Fluke t5-1000 ....not sure where it is now + i never used it.

Unfortunatley, on this occasion i have to disagree with the mr.shagbite im afraid, sorry buddy...they're the devils tool lol.

they're only bad things to own if they are used inappropriately, if you can't trust yourself to own one just incase you use it for safe isolation then that's not the testers fault is it?

for what they are they are useful so don't get put off getting one,

Reply to Most reliable pen tester??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net