Discuss My ceiling light's not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mischief

DIY
Reaction score
I wanted to remove a cut off pull cord attached to the ceiling so I turned the electrics off, disconnected the wires and wrapped each one in insulation tape. Then I pushed them up into the ceiling. Oops. Now my bedroom ceiling light won't work. They must be connected. My question is, can I make the ceiling light work without reconnecting the pull cord as I've now filled and painted over the area? I'm not an electrician (you probably realise that).

i assume it's 2 way switching.in which case toneed to connect 2 of the wires that were in the pullswitch. common and L1 as was. or rejig the wall switch. post a pic of the wall switch (poweroff and switch faceplate off) so i can see the connections.

What you have done is dangerous.
there are live wires floating around in the roof space that have only a bit of sticky tape preventing contact with things like water, insulation, etc.
it can be fixed, it requires a proper junction box and someone with the skills to identify the correct cables to join together and keep separate.
half hour job for a professional, get someone in and have it done correctly.

Photo as requested.

Attachments

• 16184723265042379806168375669995.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 20
how many cables wer in the pull switch?

Could those cables be any more twisted?

looks simple enough, but as tel says, what was at the pullcord? Hopefully other end of the 3 core... (red,yellow, blue)

don’t remove anything until instructed. And I hope you’ve got the power off.

needs some re-jigging to convert to 1 way switching.. IMO, beyond the scope of DIY. MF box at pulllswitch position might be required.

cost about £60 for as spark to sort that out. what price safety.

Red, yello, blue and green sleeved?

I’m wary of suggesting what needs to be done at the wall switch, as it’s not in great condition as it is.
To my eyes, the red at the pullswitch was /is still a live feed cable.
leave the power off just now, if you just taped up the ends.

Any members in N. Yorkshire need a quick job?

I’m sorry to be blunt, but if you want to see another birthday, don’t mess with electrics.

taping up the ends of a cable doesn’t fill us with confidence that you know what you’re doing.

the forum rules don’t allow us to give you a step by step instructions, although my guess is it’s a 5 minute job... however, without testing beforehand, my guess is just that.... a guess.

I’m sorry to be blunt, but if you want to see another birthday, don’t mess with electrics.

taping up the ends of a cable doesn’t fill us with confidence that you know what you’re doing.

the forum rules don’t allow us to give you a step by step instructions, although my guess is it’s a 5 minute job... however, without testing beforehand, my guess is just that.... a guess.
Wonderful. My daughters tell me this all the time ? Better stick to what I CAN do in future.

Reply to My ceiling light's not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net