Discuss Mystery oven cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tidy Max

I have been doing some work at a hotel (you may remember the thread about submersible lights in the swimming pool).

I got a call last week saying they had bought and oven and needed it installing as it was in use the next day. I got to the job and basically it wasn't going to happen. The supply in the kitchen was an old 3ph MEM board which i can hardly gain access to (built into a wooden cabinet) but anyway i digress!

Put a supply in metal conduit and on a ceeform plug/socket. Went to terminate the plug onto the heat resistent flex and there is a large sticker
Attention Electricians!
This equipment is wired per IEC standard
L1 Black
L2 Grey
L3 Brown

I can't access where the flex terminates into the oven. So i left the job and informed the customer the circuit had been tested up and was fine but i explained the situation and said i would ring the supplier in the morning to confirm the wiring.

I ring the supplier who puts me in contact with the manufacturer as the oven comes direct from factory to customer.
I ring the manufacturer who struggle to help but passed a message on to the lead engineer who designs the ovens. The guy rings me (nice chap) and says he is at a loss as when the oven leaves their factory it NEVER has a cable attached. They only supply the oven with terminals.

Apparently the oven has gained a cable with incorrect markings somewhere in transit.

Anyway heading over today to take the cover off the oven to see how its actually wired.

Am i missing something very obvious?

If it left the factory without a cable attached as per the the lead Engineers statement then it can only have gained that cable via the UK supplier. Unless of course the unit is not NEW, eg, direct from the factory. Several reasons, one of which, it could be a returned/repaired unit being sold as a refurbished unit. Make enquiries with your client into this respect....

Problem resolved, i will sumarise when i leave site. Customer wont be happy with the labour cost but its not my problem. Has anyone ever charged a customer for premium rate/long distance calls before lol?

I have been doing some work at a hotel (you may remember the thread about submersible lights in the swimming pool).

I got a call last week saying they had bought and oven and needed it installing as it was in use the next day. I got to the job and basically it wasn't going to happen. The supply in the kitchen was an old 3ph MEM board which i can hardly gain access to (built into a wooden cabinet) but anyway i digress!

Put a supply in metal conduit and on a ceeform plug/socket. Went to terminate the plug onto the heat resistent flex and there is a large sticker
Attention Electricians!
This equipment is wired per IEC standard
L1 Black
L2 Grey
L3 Brown

I can't access where the flex terminates into the oven. So i left the job and informed the customer the circuit had been tested up and was fine but i explained the situation and said i would ring the supplier in the morning to confirm the wiring.

I ring the supplier who puts me in contact with the manufacturer as the oven comes direct from factory to customer.
I ring the manufacturer who struggle to help but passed a message on to the lead engineer who designs the ovens. The guy rings me (nice chap) and says he is at a loss as when the oven leaves their factory it NEVER has a cable attached. They only supply the oven with terminals.

Apparently the oven has gained a cable with incorrect markings somewhere in transit.

Anyway heading over today to take the cover off the oven to see how its actually wired.

Am i missing something very obvious?

That would have got me thinking straight away should be

L1 - Brown
L2 - Black
L3 - Grey

So!

Went back to site this morning and attempted to gain access to the oven internals. Its rivetted to buggery and not happening. 4 phone calls with the manufacturer later (and an hours wait) and i get an answer!

The ovens are actually made in Germany and they need to contact them.

I explain that i am sat on site and losing money and the oven needs energising asap as the customer is getting irritated (granted its not my fault but as we all know customers don't generally accept that).

I get a phone call back saying terminate it however i want as the circuit has rectifiers in and everything is DC anyway :hammer:. I asked what they were going to do about the manual and the incorrect sticker but alas no real reply. I'll post pics in a sec.

edit: i also forgot to mention that the wiring code in the MI was different to that of the cable sticker and yet still did not conform!
L1: Brown
L2:Grey
L3:Black

20150318_133721.jpg20150320_085017.jpg

Reply to Mystery oven cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net