Discuss Cooker becomes Oven and Microwave....any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surely if the spec has changed then just quote for running in a new circuit.
Fair point and would love to. Sufficient to say this job hasn't been easy and relations already a little strained. I've already had to play the "nobody told me" card once which led to a rewire of 1st floor lighting as no CPC and smokes needed.
If you have an idea of the fault current at the outlet and brand of breaker, you could work out a min. CSA using the adiabatic?
Thanks for this very helpful thought.
It seems I haven't yet measured PSCC at the board and only have an R1+R2 for this circuit, not an R1+RN

Estimating things a bit....
R1+R2=0.26 ohms. Circuit is therefore 20.6m long. Using figures for 2 x 10 sq mm singles, I get rough R1+RN of 0.09 ohms
It's an overhead supply and I can't imagine the impedance to transformer being less than 0.2 ohms.
So if I go with 0.29 ohms, I get 2.1 sq mm out of the adiabatic which is likely bigger than the real values.
I can check with some real data when next there, but this does give me some confidence that the flex supplied and likely the internal wiring can withstand this scenario.
Thanks again.

Just realised I should probably be using the other formula for a live conductor t=(S²k²)/I²
Using this one with a fault current of 703 amps, k=115 to disconnect in 0.1s needs a live conductor size of 2.18mm.
I've a feeling the 2.5mm flex is going to be fine.

Last edited:
Rightly or wrongly I'm more thinking about the 160A that flows before the instantaneous trip and whether that would start a fire.
As you know, I like to over-think and worry!
Your conscientious is to be admired.But surely, is,nt it down to the appliance manufacture to display the same sense of care by ensuring his product is properly engineered to avoid been a potential danger ?.Appliance manufacturers know exactly what kind of scenario to be expected?.All domestic installations are wired to exactly the same standards.

Even a 3A fuse won't protect a fan motor from catching fire, so there is no relationship between the external OCPD for the oven and its current-using components.
Thank you for this comment.Would love to have written it but my technical knowhow is not quite there yet.All fan manufacturers please take note.
The manufacturer really ought to state what protection is required, which is quite likely determined by the need to protect the internal wiring against
Look at a "stand alone " cooker 40 years old or more.?.You will see control wiring of 0.75 mm or less.Yet the manufacturer was quite comfortable with a 32amp mcb/fuse as circuit protection.?

I've just realised the 'normal' adiabatic formula and the one in 543.1.2 are exactly the same, just rearranged...!
There's the nice n easy table B7 in the OSG, giving a minimum CSA of 1.5mm for faults of up to 3kA, and 2.5mm for up to 6kA.

Using manufacturers data will allow a much smaller CSA than that, eg Hager B32 = 1.5mm at 6kA fault.

Gotta agree with @LastManOnline though, it should be the manufacturer worrying about this.

Appliance manufacturers know exactly what kind of scenario to be expected?.

In an ideal world, yes.

All domestic installations are wired to exactly the same standards.

No, this is where it goes wrong. What is the normal way of wiring an oven in Germany? Would you find a 40A cooker circuit in Sweden? Manufacturers should take regional differences into account in preparing instructions, but we know from experience this sometimes doesn't work out. For example, we've discussed on this forum appliances from German manufacturers supplied with the German instructions translated into English. They were written on the basis that all domestic plugs are 16A and that the oven will come with a 16A plug attached. They assume that a 16A socket will be provided on a 16A or 20A circuit specifically for the oven and take no account of larger OCPD ever being used or that the oven would ever be hard-wired. The designers might have allowed for the UK scenario where the 13A plug isn't man enough and hard-wiring is a must, but that information has not filtered through to the published instructions so we are left wondering.

To be fair the the manufacturer, normally I'd read the plate, say "Oh it needs a 20 amp circuit", read the manual, see the min 16A, and crack on.
It's more that when things backfire and you end up in abnormal circumstances it's nice if the manufacturer can document the parameters of the design and not leave me guessing about it being probably ok.
It's also an unfortunate reality of the UK that convenient compact fusing stops at 13A.
There's the nice n easy table B7 in the OSG, giving a minimum CSA of 1.5mm for faults of up to 3kA, and 2.5mm for up to 6kA.
This has been most enlightening. So as the RCBO in question (like almost all) has an energy limiting class 3 rating, providing the PSCC is less than 3ka, 1.5 sq mm csa live conductors will always disconnect before melting under fault conditions.

Right, check PSCC, dual plate, single socket, and run!
Thanks all.

I've done similar but have had a preferable layout. Cooker switch/socket behind a microwave and split the fed to the hob and oven on 6mm. As your allowed a spur off a ring I can't see an issue with a remote socket other than the chance of incorrect isolation.

Reply to Cooker becomes Oven and Microwave....any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net