Discuss Need help finding fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can some one please help with this. I am getting 11v on two light circuits, it should be 240v Other lights in the circuit are working OK, it is just the hallway light and bedroom light that do not work. I have opened up the two switches and batten holders to check for loose wires but everything looks OK. So why would the circuit only have 11v on it? I assume it is a loose wire some where, are I correct?

What are you using to meet sure the 11v and what are you measuring between?

Hobby type multimeters are not calibrated and could give false readings when measuring.

If lights are not working, then check bulbs, check connections, check other recent work hasn’t drilled through a cable.

using a $200 multimeter, I have removed 2 batten holders (light fitting) and 2 light switches and there are no loose wires. Bulbs are OK but will not work on 11v, as they are rated 240v. I am getting 11v at the batten holder and switches. Owner said lights started flickering then went dead.

junction box above ceiling? a terminal in a batten or a switch witth screw clamping insulation? a conductor broke right in the terminal so you can't see it, but a tug would find it?also, measure volts Line - E, if thet reads 240V, then you have a broken neutral

using a $200 multimeter, I have removed 2 batten holders (light fitting) and 2 light switches and there are no loose wires. Bulbs are OK but will not work on 11v, as they are rated 240v. I am getting 11v at the batten holder and switches. Owner said lights started flickering then went dead.
Yes but where are you measuring from to get 11v? L/N L/N etc

My guess would be no Neutral, break out the wander lead and do an rN from the board to the fittings.
Edited to add, with my equipment I'd check voltage L-E and L-N to confirm this, 240V L-E would strongly indicate a lost Neutral.

If, as suspected you have an open circuit, you need to start looking back along the circuit checking rN until you have continuity.

Your fault will be between here and the faulty fitting.

Have any lights/switches been altered in other rooms?

Reply to Need help finding fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net