Discuss New boy, advice, guidance, info, suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spark2b you do realise though that to start off with your wages are gonna be crap and you will be expected to do alot of the crap jobs that an apprentice would have to do to start off with. ( crawling about in boiling hot lofts, threading ****e loads of conduit and running couplers,chasing walls etc)
You obviously have to do these jobs at any point whilst doing sparky work but from my experience i started on crap wages doing the crap side of the trade before i ever got let loose on wiring and testing my own work.
Not trying to put you off but just stating the facts as the first couple of years of my training was quite a challenge for me,but i also enjoyed the learning aspect that came with it!!

Spark2b you do realise though that to start off with your wages are gonna be crap and you will be expected to do alot of the crap jobs that an apprentice would have to do to start off with. ( crawling about in boiling hot lofts, threading ****e loads of conduit and running couplers,chasing walls etc)
You obviously have to do these jobs at any point whilst doing sparky work but from my experience i started on crap wages doing the crap side of the trade before i ever got let loose on wiring and testing my own work.
Not trying to put you off but just stating the facts as the first couple of years of my training was quite a challenge for me,but i also enjoyed the learning aspect that came with it!!

i appreciate your input, its what i am here for.....

im quite prepared for the challenge, i have had some *crap* jobs in my day,....covered in filth, mundane, pointless tasks, and such,..... never got to use my noggin, and they all lead me nowhere,....... at least with this there will be a light at the end of the tunnel,.....

and if when i get there, the lights broke, i will fix it, because i will be qualified

....how zen!!:):):)

I re-trained at 28 ish (can't quite remember) after 3 years TRYING to educate 11-16 year old feral kids in comprehensive schools from hell. And I love threading tube... so much more rewarding than holding detention, or trying to convince cocky know-it-alls to even just take off their coats, put their phones away and get a pen out.

I re-trained at 28 ish (can't quite remember) after 3 years TRYING to educate 11-16 year old feral kids in comprehensive schools from hell. And I love threading tube... so much more rewarding than holding detention, or trying to convince cocky know-it-alls to even just take off their coats, put their phones away and get a pen out.

I do HONEST TO GOD not know how teachers do it nowerdays........wen i left school in 1999, there were perhaps 2 kids with mobiles (texting was not summin that was done, even if it was no other kids had phones!!!........but even then, keeping the attention of 99% of the class was near impossible!!...........then again, everythings got a plus,......4 months off a year ....

not a job i could do,......but bless thos who do, fighting a losing battle!!

Good luck mate and keep me posted on how you get on.
Also being as i finished college not so long ago then i may be able to give you a hand with some bits........ if i can still remember.
Im sure your going to love doing phasor diagrams....... i did (NOT)

Good luck mate and keep me posted on how you get on.
Also being as i finished college not so long ago then i may be able to give you a hand with some bits........ if i can still remember.
Im sure your going to love doing phasor diagrams....... i did (NOT)

phasor diagrams,..........sounds,...space-age!!...i cant wait!!

hi guys, as to some of your instructions i have written out and intend to learn the safe isolation procedure (found a 12 step guide for it on the electrical safety council site, as well as getting to grips with the physics behind electricity, and awaiting some start of course info on 2330, but i still have 6 weeks before college starts, anything else you would consider worth me getting a head start on?

as always all opinions, info and guidance is much MUCH appreciated

(and thanks for everything so far to everyone!!)):cool::cool:

SPARK2B

Theres a website called swindon massive that will help you to see what sort of questions you will get.
Also familiarise yourself with the green on site guide as this will be your bible, particularly the testing sections and the tables for current carrying capacity,volt drops and cable sizing.
The formulas and so on you will just learn as you go and as long as you listen and turn up every week then you will breeze threw mate.

Theres a website called swindon massive that will help you to see what sort of questions you will get.
Also familiarise yourself with the green on site guide as this will be your bible, particularly the testing sections and the tables for current carrying capacity,volt drops and cable sizing.
The formulas and so on you will just learn as you go and as long as you listen and turn up every week then you will breeze threw mate.

Yepppp!!....kool went there other day,...but you have to join, passwords and such,...i will have another look,....

did i read sumwhere that kev brown of swindon college runs the site ??

Not sure who runs it but there are certain questions that require a password but it should work mate......unless theyve changed it

What are you going to do to get on site experience , at 30 you might struggle to get a foot in the door, the advice I can give you is network network network meet every single spark you can and tap them up for knowledge you never know were it may lead. All the best

Reply to New boy, advice, guidance, info, suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net