Discuss New Ceiling lighting please help, many thanks. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jon74

P1510185.jpgP1510173.jpgP1510178 copy.jpg

Hi there and many thanks in advance for any help and advice. I have two new light fittings (identical design) which I wish to connect to replace the two ceiling pendants hanging in our hallway. I've pictured the two pendants and their connections above and the connection of the new light fitting. How do I do this please... I'm not a complete novice and I have a fairly basic understanding - any help is much appreciated, many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect Jon, if your "basic understanding" doesn't cover this then it's out of your reach mate.
It's not just about connecting them and hoping they work, You need to prove the circuit is safe to re-energise and use before you flick the switch on the MCB.

Switched live- l in new fitting, neutrals-N in new fitting, earths-E in new fitting and perm lives commend together in a wago or the like.

And no mention of safe isolation procedure, IR testing to ensure no trapped cables are shorting to earth, no proving of an earth to a metal fitting. Etc, etc.
Good grief!

Ask a MOD' to relocate this to the DIY section and allow you access there.

You will require an extra connector to connect the 2 red cores into to be careful not to loose the red sleeve on the black wire.

Reds into separate connector
Black into N
Black with red sleeve into L
Earth to Earth terminal.

Caution!!!!!!! the reds wires are permanent Live and will remain energised even with the light switch off, turn the power off at the consumer unit first and use a tester if you can to confirm no power

It's a fairly simple job - for an electrician. Hopefully the mods will move this to the DIY section.

1. Locate the circuit and isolate. Use locking off device.
2. Test at the light fitting to prove that the circuit is actually dead.
3. Disconnect the old fitting ensuring you know which one is the black with red sleeving is at all times.
4. Fit the new light. Connect the green/yellows to the E terminal. The blacks (with no red sleeving) to the N terminal, the black with red sleeving to the L terminal. The last 2 red cables will need to be terminated together in a wago connector or similar.
5. Carry out an insulation resistance test on the circuit with all loads removed.
6. Carry out a R1+R2 test on the circuit.
7. Check if these results are acceptable.
8. Re-energise the circuit and carry out a Zs test at the light in question and the last one on the circuit.
9. Prepare to be told I have done something wrong here ;-)

Thank you and fully understood with regards the second pendant pictured but please could you kindly explain the other pendant. I can follow instructions very clearly and I have a good understanding. Anything I was unsure about I wouldn't undertake. Many thanks

Thank you and fully understood with regards the second pendant pictured but please could you kindly explain the other pendant. I can follow instructions very clearly and I have a good understanding. Anything I was unsure about I wouldn't undertake. Many thanks

????? pic 1 and 2 are of the same pendant!

Second pendant ? You've posted the same picture twice, there's only one pendant

It's been explained, if you can't understand the instructions of what has already been posted on here then you need to get an electrician

Follow my instructions above as it answers your question in full.

And no mention of safe isolation procedure, IR testing to ensure no trapped cables are shorting to earth, no proving of an earth to a metal fitting. Etc, etc.
Good grief!

Trev, I will think twice about replying to a DIY,ers post again.

P1510173.jpgSorry this is the other pendant.. for some reason it didn't load up earlier and the other image was duplicated. I completely understand the instructions. Many thanks apologies about the photo issue, ; - )

In your first post you said your understanding was basic, here you claim that if unsure you wouldn't do it yet here you are chomping at the bit to do something which is clearly beyond your skill set.
You may think I'm just a grumpy old bugger who is having a pop at you unnecessarily. That is not my intention here Jon, electricians are generally a lot cheaper and less traumatic than funerals.
I don't know about anyone else here but I'm pretty sure that my insurances wouldn't cover me if I were to advise you and were it to go disastrously wrong. Something which I sincerely hope will not happen.
Good luck

Jon74, the best advice you have had in this thread is from Trev. Unless you have the correct testing equipment and knowledge of how to use it, then you cannot prove the circuit safe to work on or for connecting these fittings to. To advise you further would be irresponsible.

It helps it you 'report' the post so that they'll be aware and will be able to do just that.

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. Don't think this post fits that criteria?

Reply to New Ceiling lighting please help, many thanks. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net