Discuss newbie looking for advices in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

neoinwales

Hello everyone,
Just landed to find some helpful advices. Am thinking about a career change, 36 years old, no industry experience, hoping to bring home 30+ net, is it realistic?
Went to a local training centre which offers intensive course, 4 weeks for 5000 grands. anybody has been through similar courses and now in the industry?
any advices or opinions are appreciated.
Neo

It's do-able, but it is currently a horrible climate within the industry and so I feel you may get some advice along the lines of 'don't bother'... And for this I apologise.

Welcome to the forums.

These training centres offer courses that will enable you to provide documented evidence of your competence. With this you can then join a scheme membership, and then the earning potential is solely down to your business acumen.
Gaining experience practically is one of the tougher challenges, some centres offer practical training, and it's this that makes some of the courses costly.

Could you possibly list the individual course details, or qualifications that are included in this venture you are considering taking?

many thanks widdler for the reply.

here are some info I copied from the leaflet.

Programme details:
.applicable building regulations for domestic electrical installation
.electrical safety legislation, regulations and standards
.domestic electrical installation pre-work survey/inspection
.domestic electrical installation safe isolation procedures
.identifying unsafe electrical situations
.domestic electrical earthing and bonding requirements
.electrical test procedures
.selecting domestic electrical cable and components
.installing and replacing electrical components
.checking the correct and safe operation of installed electrical components
.recording of electrical test results and completing certificates
.installing and/or rerouting domestic electrical cables
.domestic electrical installation special locations
.understanding of new domestic electrical circuit requirement
.installing domestic lighting circuits
.maintaining domestic electrical installations
.basic understanding of 3 phase supplies
.17th edition wiring regulations
.inspection and testing of installations: commercial, industrial, domestic
.certification and testing or work carried out by others
.learning how to use a wide range of test instruments
.certification of installations for surveyor's reports
.learning how to complete test certificates for clients including landlords and local authorities

Qualifications after the course:
Part P EAL domestic electricla installer - ful scope
The 17th edition of the IEE wiring regulations - City & Guilds 2382
Certificate in fundamental inspection and testing - City & Guilds 2392-10
Inspection, testing & certification of electrical installations - City & Guilds 2391-10

thanks again
Neo

i would have advised you to go down the college route and do the 2330 alongside the on site training you could grab whilst doing it. but this has been taken away at the moment with the 2330 being replaced with the 2357 which is to include the nvq unfortunately this leaves at the moment the 4 week type courses as the only option. you need to bear in mind with the 2391 that its really aimed at electricians that have been in the trade for a few years and the pass rate for it puts it into perspective. if i was young i would have a good research into the training company before parting with the cash. stick around on here though as there is loads of great info for anyone coming into or even in the trade :)

Yeah that looks like the common structure for these training centres. It might be worth looking around a bit though as I know a place that is the same price and includes 2393 and 2377-002.

I have experience with these centres from the tutors perspective as I have done some sessional work for a few, so I will give you my two cents worth. I have concerns with the delivery of these courses to students due to the short timescale they allow. Some of these places judge their tutors performance purely on results, and then cut the City&Guilds recommended delivery window by more than half. This has created a 'teach to pass' style lesson and it's the students who miss out as a result.

The course delivery is quite intense, but I am yet to find a college that hasn't withdrawn some very necessary material from their modules. This has resulted in me frequently battling with the managers and heads of construction etc to justify why more delivery time should be allowed.

I would suggest you pop to the course forum and get chatting with some of the guys there. Many are on similar style courses and have both positive and negative experiences to share.

I myself was an old fashioned tea making, wall bashing, loft crawling apprentice who has gone on to teaching and consultancy. So unfortunately, I cannot offer you my experiences of this from the students perspective.

I can assure you however that this community will be here to help you with your study in any way we can should you choose to go ahead.

Mate, the long, and the short of it is, is that these courses will tell you whatever, they need to, in order to get you to sign up. Take the advice and follow the C&G route.

Mate, the long, and the short of it is, is that these courses will tell you whatever, they need to, in order to get you to sign up. Take the advice and follow the C&G route.

trouble is Ken the c&g 2330 route has all but been shut with the 2357 requiring work based units for completion of the course. which is a shame and really only at the moment leaves one way into the trade for elder learners. i know some of the colleges are in talks as to which way they can proceed with the entry requirements for the 2357.

trouble is Ken the c&g 2330 route has all but been shut with the 2357 requiring work based units for completion of the course. which is a shame and really only at the moment leaves one way into the trade for elder learners. i know some of the colleges are in talks as to which way they can proceed with the entry requirements for the 2357.

Okay Phil, so I was right on half of it mate, hence the the reason that I said take 'advice'. From people who are far more knowledable on the subject than I am. Cheers mate.

Okay Phil, so I was right on half of it mate, hence the the reason that I said take 'advice'. From people who are far more knowledable on the subject than I am. Cheers mate.

your more right than some of the colleges round here mate then :D they are only 10% right :D some are still telling people that the 2392 is the new level 3 2391 newer version. the 2357 framework has not long come through mate. and allegedly coming in september.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!
If you're talking about earning £30k+ that's a bit pie in the sky unless you've already been working in the trade for 10+ years - you'd be looking at more like an average of minimum wage sweeping up and that for the first few years, so definately a labour of love rather than getting rich quick.

As mentioned the best way to learn is the local college route, and try to find someone to work alongside to gain experience - there's a lot more to being an electrician than driving a van and changing a few plugs!

Many thanks to everyone who spent your time on reading and replying my questions.

I wish I could go through the C&G route, however as my age, It is out of question. As some of you suggested, I will hang around and find more info from the people who are or were in the courses.

Reply to newbie looking for advices in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net