Discuss Nicked a Wire Under the Floor...Junction Box or Rerun? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I dropped my multi-tool onto a 10/3 wire yesterday when removing some rotted flooring in a mobile home. I could see a bit of copper so I don't feel comfortable just wrapping it in electrical tape and calling it good.

There is a crawl space underneath the mobile home where I can have the wire replaced (about 50'), my only other option I can see is splicing the wire in a junction box. Obviously the junction box would be easier, but I'm not sure if it is code compliant. I'm having trouble figuring out what is considered "accessible". There is about 24" from the bottom of the joists to the ground (bare) and there are 2 openings to the crawl space which are maybe 20"x20".

If the cable needs to be reran, I plan on hiring an electrician to hook it up at the box. If it is just a splice in a junction box I can handle that.

Suggestions? Thank you

I dropped my multi-tool onto a 10/3 wire yesterday when removing some rotted flooring in a mobile home. I could see a bit of copper so I don't feel comfortable just wrapping it in electrical tape and calling it good.

There is a crawl space underneath the mobile home where I can have the wire replaced (about 50'), my only other option I can see is splicing the wire in a junction box. Obviously the junction box would be easier, but I'm not sure if it is code compliant. I'm having trouble figuring out what is considered "accessible". There is about 24" from the bottom of the joists to the ground (bare) and there are 2 openings to the crawl space which are maybe 20"x20".

If the cable needs to be reran, I plan on hiring an electrician to hook it up at the box. If it is just a splice in a junction box I can handle that.

Suggestions? Thank you
Yes you can legally spice it and if it’s under the home which you have access to the it is accessible. Make sure that you do install a junction box with a cover. Good luck

Reply to Nicked a Wire Under the Floor...Junction Box or Rerun? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net