Discuss Old Pyro cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sintra

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Been testing a job this afternoon and came across a couple of pieces of quality craftmanship.

IMG_5449.JPG IMG_5450.JPG IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5455.JPG

Decent job, long may it last. Men who do work like that can go home in the evening knowing they have given a good account of themselves and their profession. Apprentices take note: MICC might not be in the AM2 any more but you can, and should, wire to this standard of finish if you're serious about being an electrician.

And if the circuits are still needed they will be there when we are gone!Thanks for posting not installed much of this but its bullet proof :33:not seen or used this in years.
Anyone remember making off a short length at college powering it up with 24v and a lamp at the other end and been told to heat with a blow torch (no damage) then hit the pyro with a hammer light stopped on even after 4 or 5 hits and the cable meggered out ok even tho it was flattened. Of course it eventually failed with further hammering :shocked3:

It doesn't seem that long ago when these installations were the norm rather than the exception. Guess it's a symptom of a society where everything is ripped out and replaced every few years to keep up with fashion so anything more than throw it in cheap and fast is just a waste of time and money because it will almost certainly be in the bottom of a skip a year or two from now.

I went to a Grid substation a few weeks ago 90%of ccts were wired in MICC, Im sure back in the day electricians did not have money men saying come one lads this has to be done tonight, unlike in todays climate!!!

When I started we did loads of pyro, county council work in schools and police/fire stations was all either pyro or steel,nothing else was permitted.I used to love it, some of the sites I still work at now, and come across pyro I installed 30 years ago still going strong. I remember being appalled when I saw an office refurb in a secondary school being done in PVC conduit sometime in the 1980's,from then on it was a slippery slope, standards dropped and it wasn't long before T/E reared it's ugly head....now of course nobody would pay for an install in pyro/steel when plastic will do.

I went to a Grid substation a few weeks ago 90%of ccts were wired in MICC, Im sure back in the day electricians did not have money men saying come one lads this has to be done tonight, unlike in todays climate!!!

They did, it's just the people doing it were trained and doing it day in day out. It wouldn't have taken them half the time it would someone who didn't have as much experience.

It's those skills, tips and tricks that unfortunately have very nearly been completely lost from the trade.

My first day as an Apprentice, polishing MICCs like that with a Brillo pad, like I said happy days, just wondering how many of today's "Electricians" could do a job like that, not many I'll wager apart from a few of the old school, skills will be lost unless training and apprenticeships get better, never going to happen is it? far to many bish bash bosh merchants about nowadays.

Time was still time to do an particularly task, whether it be MICC or Steel conduit.

My first day as an Apprentice, polishing MICCs like that with a Brillo pad, like I said happy days, just wondering how many of today's "Electricians" could do a job like that, not many I'll wager apart from a few of the old school, skills will be lost unless training and apprenticeships get better, never going to happen is it? far to many bish bash bosh merchants about nowadays.

Sadly this is from a different era when skills like that were in demand....There's not the demand for an installation like that anymore, that's not really the fault of todays training,if there was a need for those skills then todays apprentices/Electrical Trainee's would have to learn them.

Sadly this is from a different era when skills like that were in demand....There's not the demand for an installation like that anymore, that's not really the fault of todays training,if there was a need for those skills then todays apprentices/Electrical Trainee's would have to learn them.

Our college taught us how to terminate MICC, we had to use it in our practical assessment also.

I have never touched it since at work sadly. Would love to though to be honest.

Sadly you are correct more is the pity, glad I have packed up in all honesty.

Reply to Old Pyro cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net