Discuss One RCBO killing entire board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amr400

DIY
Reaction score
I had a 6amp RCBO feeding a 2.5mm radial ( temporary measure)

It tripped, as I expected would

But once tripped, all the other circuits went dead?

I replaced with a 16amp RCBO, powered on, and everything back to normal?

What could have caused this?

Sounds 99% unlikely.
Sounds like we're missing important information.
I kind of hope not, as it would be most interesting otherwise.

I had a 6amp RCBO feeding a 2.5mm radial ( temporary measure)

It tripped, as I expected would

But once tripped, all the other circuits went dead?

I replaced with a 16amp RCBO, powered on, and everything back to normal?

What could have caused this?
Thats a lot going on there..... much more info is required .As mentioned Photographs are vital

Probably been said 1000 times.
Do you really think electrical faults do not happen on "Temporary Installations" There are many regs and Statutory compliances for temporary installations. More people are electrocuted by temporary installing than permanent pro rata. I never never give advice on Elect work to anyone unless they are under my direct supervision or responsibility. I fail to understand why so called Electricians are so quick to give advice and thenb so quick to condemn others.How many of you would give advice about replacing gas fitting on a boiler.
I may offer my opinion on what's wrong but that's it. Only an opinion.
Anyhow I I think first reply mattg4321 is spot on and covers all components within that arena. Incorrectcwiringvof consumer unit

I wouldn't have thought it was the 6a or 16a rcbo at fsult. If the entire board appeared "dead" its obviously coincidentally faulting elsewhere to completely make the output from the entire board dead.
To remind a few jobsworths.....the rcbo, mcb, fuse protects the cable and not the appliance.
No its not good practice to protect a 2.5mill cable with a 6a trip but as long as the current drawn does not exceed 6a it won't trip....not on overcurrent anyway....A 6a protective device could supply a 50mm cable safely as long as the current drawn does not exceed 6a. The 50mm cable would be well protected...a waste if money to use duch s size cable but it would be protected

I wouldn't have thought it was the 6a or 16a rcbo at fsult. If the entire board appeared "dead" its obviously coincidentally faulting elsewhere to completely make the output from the entire board dead.
To remind a few jobsworths.....the rcbo, mcb, fuse protects the cable and not the appliance.
No its not good practice to protect a 2.5mill cable with a 6a trip but as long as the current drawn does not exceed 6a it won't trip....not on overcurrent anyway....A 6a protective device could supply a 50mm cable safely as long as the current drawn does not exceed 6a. The 50mm cable would be well protected...a waste if money to use duch s size cable but it would be protected
Why is it not good practice to install a 2.5 cable on a 6A protective device, where are you quoting this from.

Probably been said 1000 times.
Do you really think electrical faults do not happen on "Temporary Installations" There are many regs and Statutory compliances for temporary installations. More people are electrocuted by temporary installing than permanent pro rata. I never never give advice on Elect work to anyone unless they are under my direct supervision or responsibility. I fail to understand why so called Electricians are so quick to give advice and thenb so quick to condemn others.How many of you would give advice about replacing gas fitting on a boiler.
I may offer my opinion on what's wrong but that's it. Only an opinion.
Anyhow I I think first reply mattg4321 is spot on and covers all components within that arena. Incorrectcwiringvof consumer unit
I disagree I'm afraid, his response. was not a response it was sarcasm and I've told him so, this is a forum where we can discuss issues like this, I for one would like to know what caused it and would encourage Electricians to discuss and not dismiss

50 yes experience starting with a
5 year apprenticeship 1974 to 1979
And a full 5 year one too.....not a 2 Yr heta course in a college workshop
I have installed lighting circuits in large factories and warehouses using 10.0 to accommodate volt drop using 10A protective devices, this is bad practice?

Reply to One RCBO killing entire board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net