Discuss C40 rcbo on ring main changes to b32 causing nuisance tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is there not another 32A in the board you can swap with?
No this is an older board, the circuit I’m working on was put on a 40a type c breaker presumably to stop a b32 from tripping out which is what I tried putting the circuit on. Not the type of property you really want to dig into all other electrics in. One of them jobs I’m wishing I never started!!
Thanks for reply

Problem is you have no idea why it was on a 40A type C. There isn't another 32A in the board, what make is it.

Problem is you have no idea why it was on a 40A type C. There isn't another 32A in the board, what make is it.
Wylex the other circuits are on mcb’s, I’m altering the circuit that had previously been put on a c40 rcbo with hopes to swap it to a b32, obviously I thought something would be wrong but all seems okay, insulation resistance is low but is satisfactory for age etc of install, no major loads on the circuit. Was marked up as laundry room (where I’m moving some sockets around etc but found out it also turns of power in a room on other side of property hense high continuity readings, zs would be okay for a b type breaker but to high for a c type but finding a fault in a listed house which is rather large with difficult clients is finding itself quite challenging!. Thanks for reply

I tried putting it on a b32 same make rcbo and it was tripping every now and then, client said every 10 mins but when I go back it stays on fine the whole time I’m there, rather confusing…

As suggested, can you split the ring onto two radials and narrow it down that way? If you can trace the ring round the house then, you could start extending the non-faulty side radial and reducing the faulty side until you have isolated it to a smaller section of the ring and go from there?

Reply to C40 rcbo on ring main changes to b32 causing nuisance tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net