Discuss MCBs tripping randomly? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In spite of the anticipated reaction and assurances I think a little experiment is due to disprove human interaction before wasting more time on this .

Buy another Wylex B32 MCB (3 or 4 quid)
Swap the B40 for a B32. Don't say a word to anyone but move the sockets on the right to the new B32 on the left (along with the respective neutrals) and connect the summer house to the empty B32 on the right (and move the neutral too). This is all temporary.
See if the the same breaker keeps tripping.

If the problem moves to the right without anyone else knowing then it's an electrical problem that is foxing the finest electricians I know.
If the problem stays on the left I'm afraid it's most likely to be a human interaction issue.

Just to confirm.

the original summer house was experiencing random trips
it was fed from a normal mcb

the board has been changed and the same thing is happening with the new equipment

the outgoing live cable has been removed from the circuit breaker and the breaker still trips at random times.

if all the above is correct, i would be looking for a mechanical reason for tripping as mentioned above by @DPG

I would be considering a covert ip camera watching the board with the cover off and seeing what is going on.

edit,
A video of a breaker tripping on its own with no outgoing cable attached would really amaze me.
if that happens, i would be recommending posting on a forum that follows ley lines, ghosts, spirits, extra-terrestrials, EMF and grounding, etc.
I’ll try and get a video on Saturday when I have time, speak to you all then and thanks for your time!

In spite of the anticipated reaction and assurances I think a little experiment is due to disprove human interaction before wasting more time on this .

Swap the B40 for a B32. Don't say a word to anyone but move the sockets on the right to the new B32 on the left (along with the respective neutrals) and connect the summer house to the empty B32 on the right (and move the neutral too). This is all temporary.

If the problem moves to the right without anyone else knowing then it's an electrical problem that is foxing the finest electricians I know.
If the problem stays on the left I'm afraid it's most likely to be a human interaction issue.
I’ll also try this 👍🏻

I’ll try and get a video on Saturday when I have time, speak to you all then and thanks for your time!
You have such an unusual fault, there are a dozen highly trained and experienced electricians here that are invested in your problem and would love to find out what the problem is.
Mystery hunters should be a new member tag for all that have posted there ideas here!!
Our time is given freely but thankyou for recognising it.

A few questions.
Did you not carry out a full eicr before the board change?
All new colour cables in your photo - a full rewire at some stage, extended circuits or a newish property?
Knowing you have had on going issues, you chose to fit a dual rcd board rather than an rcbo board (and no spd).

I am minded - not yet decided since Carlise is half a day's travel each way - to take a look myself so intrigued am I with this problem.

My suspicions have turned to the smart meter. it contains a contactor which isolates the incoming mains in the event of tampering, end of credit, remote supplied command or loss of incoming mains power. The working hypothesis is that there are very brief complete interruptions in mains power to the output terminals of this smart meter caused by some sort of fault associated with this relay or its control including the meter enclosures anti-tamper circuitry. When there is a a very brief interruption in 240Vac when some non-trivial current is being supplied as would be the case when you and /or your wife are using electrical equipment or indeed when fridges and freezers start or run - then the transient currents which flow briefly after power returns to normal causes very high but short duration pulses of magnetic flux in the short circuit solenoid of the mcbs. These pulses of high current high magnetic flux are interpreted by those circuit breakers passing current as short circuits and thus they trip. Oddly but not physically impossible the sunhouse mcb trips even when it is only connected to the busbar but nothing to its output because the high pulse of magnetic flux(es) from adjacent mcbs link its own short circuit solenoid causing it to trip.

These events are initiated and noticeable only when non-trivial currents are flowing thus during gaming, cooking and the use of high power white appliances.

It is still not certain even though the dno have been and tested(? ) that there is no external fault with the distribution network your home connects to noting it is a PME supply. If it was a street long problem others would be complaining - and they are not - so if there was a supply defect then more probably it would be in the feed to your home. Is your street fed by overhead lines?

Would you please load up the ring circuits and your sunhouse too (so reconnect the fed to it to the B40A mcb) and then take a rolling pin or hammer and tap the smart meter in a number of places a number of times. Obviously don't beat the living daylights out of it as much as most of us would quire understandably want to at 50p a kWh!

After this, please take some small plastic clear freezer bags and aluminium foil. Using an mcb as a template cut out two pieces of ally foil shaped to both sides of the mcb. Place these each in a small plastic freezer bag. Interposed these insulated ally sheets between the sides of the mcbs which usually trip. Wait and see what transpires. Obviously take great care that the ally is inside the plastic and does not touch the busbar. No shame if you think this is too risky for you to do. You really do have to be very careful. I only suggest it because you are a qualified electrician. You are making a Faraday shield. See

Faraday cage - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Also wiggle the meter tails to see if their movement causes the trip.

I recall a smart problem in Birmingham when its radio transmissions interfered with the electronics of the rcd causing it to trip - but your rcd does not trip so we will keep that on the back burner for now.

Is the meter cupboard metal or plastic including the door? Is the mobile phone signal strong where you live? How old is the smart meter in the cabinet?

Last edited:
I am minded - not yet decided since Carlise is half a day's travel each way - to take a look myself so intrigued am I with this problem.

My suspicions have turned to the smart meter. it contains a contactor which isolates the incoming mains in the event of tampering, end of credit, remote supplied command or loss of incoming mains power. The working hypothesis is that there are very brief complete interruptions in mains power to the output terminals of this smart meter caused by some sort of fault associated with this relay or its control including the meter enclosures anti-tamper circuitry. When there is a a very brief interruption in 240Vac when some non-trivial current is being supplied as would be the case when you and /or your wife are using electrical equipment or indeed when fridges and freezers start or run - then the transient currents which flow briefly after power returns to normal causes very high but short duration pulses of magnetic flux in the short circuit solenoid of the mcbs. These pulses of high current high magnetic flux are interpreted by those circuit breakers passing current as short circuits and thus they trip. Oddly but not physically impossible the sunhouse mcb trips even when it is only connected to the busbar but nothing to its output because the high pulse of magnetic flux(es) from adjacent mcbs link its own short circuit solenoid causing it to trip.

These events are initiated and noticeable only when non-trivial currents are flowing thus during gaming, cooking and the use of high power white appliances.

It is still not certain even though the dno have been and tested(? ) that there is no external fault with the distribution network your home connects to noting it is a PME supply. If it was a street long problem others would be complaining - and they are not - so if there was a supply defect then more probably it would be in the feed to your home. Is your street fed by overhead lines?

Would you please load up the ring circuits and your sunhouse too (so reconnect the fed to it to the B40A mcb) and then take a rolling pin or hammer and tap the smart meter in a number of places a number of times. Obviously don't beat the living daylights out of it as much as most of us would quire understandably want to at 50p a kWh!

I recall a smart problem in Birmingham when its radio transmissions interfered with the electronics of the rcd causing it to trip - but your rcd does not trip so we will keep that on the back burner for now.

Is the meter cupboard metal or plastic including the door? Is the mobile phone signal strong where you live? How old is the smart meter in the cabinet?
Does the theory still stand when there is no connection to the outgoing side of the mcb ?

Hope it’s not caused by a ham radio station next door 😜

Does the theory still stand when there is no connection to the outgoing side of the mcb ?
I wrote - albeit I have edited the text a few times so maybe you did not see it -

Oddly but not physically impossible the sunhouse mcb trips even when it is only connected to the busbar but nothing to its output because the high pulse of magnetic flux(es) from adjacent mcbs link its own short circuit solenoid causing it to trip.

A few questions.
Did you not carry out a full eicr before the board change?
All new colour cables in your photo - a full rewire at some stage, extended circuits or a newish property?
Knowing you have had on going issues, you chose to fit a dual rcd board rather than an rcbo board (and no spd).
My house is 7 years old mate and the sun house is just an extension of the old garage, but the cable feeding the garage is the original cable.
It didn’t even cross my mind to fit an rcbo board to be honest mate.

After this, please take some small plastic clear freezer bags and aluminium foil. Using an mcb as a template cut out two pieces of ally foil shaped to both sides of the mcb. Place these each in a small plastic freezer bag. Interposed these insulated ally sheets between the sides of the mcbs which usually trip. Wait and see what transpires. Obviously take great care that the ally is inside the plastic and does not touch the busbar. No shame if you think this is too risky for you to do. You really do have to be very careful. I only suggest it because you are a qualified electrician. You are making a Faraday shield. See

Faraday cage - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Feel free to come to Carlisle mate 😂 you’re most welcome to. I’m currently at work and I have tomorrow planned in for trying things. So I will do as you have asked! I will get the info you have asked for tonight though.

Again thanks for your time in this 🙏

When there is a a very brief interruption in 240Vac when some non-trivial current is being supplied as would be the case when you and /or your wife are using electrical equipment or indeed when fridges and freezers start or run - then the transient currents which flow briefly after power returns to normal causes very high but short duration pulses of magnetic flux in the short circuit solenoid of the mcbs.
While that sounds plausible in theory, I really doubt any home system is going to produce that big a magnetic field. Indeed if it did, I would expect to see bent steel enclosures!

While that sounds plausible in theory, I really doubt any home system is going to produce that big a magnetic field. Indeed if it did, I would expect to see bent steel enclosures!
Noted.

To fathom this problem I am being creative in generating the hypothesis to inspire the next line of diagnosis. I can see myself visiting.............

I am more open minded about extraordinary current waveforms of several hundreds of Amperes and short duration with their associated magnetic field/flux. Quirky circumstances causing resonance perhaps and not necessarily at 50Hz but a harmonic or several of them?

I don't care if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Even short-circuit currents of many kA do not trip adjacent MCBs. I could ask a friend who has a large magnet-charger (i.e. huge electromagnet) to try tripping an MCB with it.

This is the next thing that should be done. See if the fault stays with the MCB or moves with the circuit.
Same technique is often used to sort a misfire on an engine. Move the ignition coil or the injector, and see if the fault follows the component or stays with the cylinder.

@marconi I've driven from Eastbourne to Carlisle several times having lived in both places. Granted once was in an LDV Pilot with a cat and a 2 year old for company which is a combination of vehicular technology and company I never want to do again. Whether the differential or the cat made more noise is open to debate. But my point is that if it were me I'd want to rule out human intervention before travelling.
(But if you do go to Carlisle - I'd suggest you'd enjoy a visit to Bookcase on Castle Street which is the best 2nd hand bookshop spread over many floors I've ever found, all properly organised like a library)

@marconi I've driven from Eastbourne to Carlisle several times having lived in both places. Granted once was in an LDV Pilot with a cat and a 2 year old for company which is a combination of vehicular technology and company I never want to do again. Whether the differential or the cat made more noise is open to debate. But my point is that if it were me I'd want to rule out human intervention before travelling.
(But if you do go to Carlisle - I'd suggest you'd enjoy a visit to Bookcase on Castle Street which is the best 2nd hand bookshop spread over many floors I've ever found, all properly organised like a library)

I'd wager the cat was significantly more responsive than the steering in that LDV.

Reply to MCBs tripping randomly? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net